Friday, February 20, 2009

Could You Be Loved? Let Me Love You!

It's Friday. Who else is pumped for the weekend? I'm not quite sure why I'm in such a good mood. Maybe it's because I went snowboarding this morning. Or maybe it's because I had the best oreo, coconut, chocolate chip brownie thing right after. I don't even have anything going on this weekend that is really that exciting, but I'm just feeling it.

Maybe it's that the sun has been out the last couple days and so I've been able to go running outside for consecutive days and it feels awesome. I didn't even go for a specific distance. I just ran out, aimlessly up and down the big hill, towards campus, and then back to my place. Ran out for about 25 minutes, and then back home, so it was a good 5-6 miles. It felt so awesome. Tomorrow I think I might even do 8. It's just been so dang pleasant (I can't believe I'm saying this about 40-50 degree weather, gross). Do any of you remember Superman IV? I feel like I'm kind of like Nuclear Man, who is basically a solar-powered dude. I wish I could a find a decent clip of him from the movie. It's so freakin' lame, but I totally feel like that guy. When the sun is hiding I lose my super powers; when it's bright and shiny, I'm all there ready to kick some Superman tail!

Anyway, I've said this before, but part of what's so great about being here at BYU is how many awesome people there are. I mean really impressive people. The professor who I am a TA for, I kind of love/hate him, just finished this same program that I'm in, last year. He was telling me the other day about how he was just kind of floating through the program when all of the sudden something just clicked for him and he started to get ahead in everything that he was doing. He got so far ahead that he wrote a stats book that he now teaches from. That just amazed me.

And yesterday I met another guy in my program who is a third year student. He just defended his thesis and will defend his dissertation this summer. He'll have finished the PhD program in 3 years. That's kind of insane. He's taking 18 hours a semester, and working on his thesis/dissertation, and consulting on the side. I don't think I necessarily want to follow that timetable, but the course of his studies I think I'd like to emulate. I guess there's a lot of opportunity for someone like me because I have research skills, whereas the business majors don't and aren't interested in that stuff anyway. But he got a job with Pricewaterhouse Coopers. He just started working a lot with the business professors, went to their retreats, stuck his resume in with all the MBAs, and BAM! Big time job. He said he got a lot of interest from companies mostly because his experience was so different. I think I'm going to jump on that train because I don't think I'm really interested in academia. And I like money.

At the faculty lecture yesterday this Finnish guy came and spoke and he was just awesome. He has a PhD and MBA, and was just really impressive. Recently I've been thinking that further down the road, I'd like to get an additional degree. I'm thinking law, probably because I love Dave's experiences so much. I guess I hear all the good stuff, but I find it all so interesting. Anyway, this professor was running all these scenarios on social learning theory and I was totally riveted. I went and introduced myself after he was done, and Dr. Miller who organizes these events, was sitting right there when I met him. I asked Dr. Felin how I could get involved, and then Dr. Miller started chiming in and giving him more information about me. It was just really cool to see how interested he was in hooking me up with this other guy. I love the cross-pollenization that goes on here at the school. I think it will provide some great opportunities. I think the best thing I have going for me is that I'm pretty capable in whatever I choose to pursue, but more importantly, I'm interested in pretty much everything.

It's funny - I've just had all this energy the last couple days. Hopefully it keeps up, and I can focus it on actually getting stuff done. Anyway, have a great weekend everyone. Here's some Bob.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'd agree. You're pretty badass.

I need to know more about this oreo, coconut, chocolate chip brownie thing. Sounds like we were separated at birth.