Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Utah Mormons

Utah Church is funny. Just a few things:
  • My calling in the church here is Sunday school teacher. I used to teach every other Sunday, and in my ward there are always four Sunday school classes. I didn't think this was a stretch at all. We had a meeting last weekend and what came out of it was that the other teachers felt it necessary to have more people called so that they can stand at the doors, greet people, and conduct the classes because somehow that's not something I can just do myself. Everyone else loved that idea, and I didn't feel like being the lone dissenting voice saying that it was dumb. We already had more teachers as it was, so I was only teaching about 2 out of every 5 weeks, but now those new people are also designated as teachers and it will be even less.
  • This week we had Family Home Evening last night, tomorrow is either institute or a cannery service assignment, broom ball on Friday night, and paintballing Saturday. Most weeks are like this here. Oh, and there was a pot luck dinner last Sunday, and this Sunday is Fast Sunday so there will be break the fast as a ward, which will be held earlier because...
  • It's Super Bowl Sunday. At home, a lot of members still try and avoid watching TV on Sundays, or at least the leaders do, or it's at least just not really openly discussed. Here, they actually said in the announcments that break the fast would be held earlier so that people could watch the game and it's probably a good idea to start your fast earlier on Saturday. It's funny to me that it's so readily acknowledged, like who's going to actually try avoid watching TV on the Sabbath?
  • And in general, people just don't realize how rigid they are here. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but without the context of operating as a subculture within a larger culture, they don't realize that a lot of people swear in public, watch R-rated films, live with significant others without being married, or that most people vote Democratic now. Being subversive here amounts to watching something risque like MTV.
I don't know why I joined your church sometimes. You mormons are weird.

3 comments:

Anne said...

This is just my humble opinion, but I grew up a Utah mormon and while I feel like the first few bullet points might be unique to student wards, I can definitely relate to the last one. It wasn't until I moved away that I realized how close minded I was, and have since become enlightened. I think that every Utah Mormon should be required to live somewhere other than Utah (and a mission shouldn't count) just so they can experience and understand exactly what real life is like.

Caitlin said...

Weird like a fox!

cropfoto said...

Anne I totally agree with you.
I'm from UT as well and one of the best compliments I ever got was "You're from Utah? You don't seem like a Utah Mormon AT ALL!" And thank goodness I don't because you're right Silvs... they are weird!