Sunday, October 14, 2007

I Am J. Alfred Prufrock

This is the poem. I know that Dave is not a fan of T.S. Eliot, but I actually really think he's very cool. I've mentioned this before, but I've just been feeling very vulnerable lately and I think that's when I retreat into Prufrock mode. What I appreciate about the poem is that it is so wonderfully insecure. And that is the nature of his poetry in general. I guess when you live during a World War and through the Depression, that's the voice that you develop. He encapsulates the period perfectly, I think.

So anyway, maybe this is coinciding with my being really into musicals mood that I've been in. I was talking with a couple people about it today, but I think that I'm going through a gawky phase at 27 years old. It's kind of annoying, really. Sometimes life circumstances changes your playing field and you have to deal with circumstances and situations that you just haven't had to deal with for a long time. That's where I feel like I'm at - just out of practice with certain situations. I usually have no problem getting really close to people pretty quickly. But for the last year or two I haven't really allowed myself to get really close to knew people. I just pretty much have stayed close with the same people that I've always been close with. So now with certain people I'm starting to move them from one pool of friends to the next and I find that I'm out of practice and just plain goofy sometimes.

As I try and finish this post I keep getting distracted. So I'll just leave it here. It really does just take a lot of work to build and maintain relationships. I've been maintaining for so long that I haven't really been thinking a lot about building, but that's important too and I'm excited to start again. Even if I feel like a moron sometimes while doing it.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I don't remember hating T.S. Eliot. But that sounds like something I may have said back when I was reading 8 books a week.