Monday, October 20, 2008

I'm Not The Kind Of Girl Who Likes To Be Alone

This is a potpourri post, but I was listening to that Janet Jackson song on the way in to school this morning. Can anyone name that tune?
  • "Laughter is a profession of faith." That's a line from Peter Robinson in this great book that I'm reading on Ronald Reagan, How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life. So true.
  • You know what I'm missing about California right now? KROQ. The music, but what I'm thinking of right now is Ralph's Movie Beat. He's mostly how I find out about independent movies, but even if I knew about the movies, there aren't any indy theaters nearby. All the rock radio stations play stuff like you'd find in the 909. I hate it. It's like everything sounds like Nickelback or Lifehouse, which is totally obnoxious. The best radio station in Utah? 91.7, KOHS. That's right, Orem High. They don't have commercials, and it explores more music than the other stations here. Plus it's run by high school kids. That's awesome. And I'm also missing listening to Hugh Hewitt. There's a lot of stuff about it that miss. Thank goodness for podcasts. I'm gonna have to start taking advantage of those.
  • I'm tentatively thinking about running the LA marathon. It's on President's day, in about 17-18 weeks. Considering I'm already in marathon shape, I should be okay. But then again, I'd have to train through the winter here in Utah. We'll see. Any takers?
  • I finally got a calling yesterday. I was afraid it was going to be FHE coordinator. I hate that calling, or maybe I'm just tired of it. I had it for the last 2 years up here at BYU, and I hate organizing other people's fun. Nope...Gospel Doctrine! I'm really excited about it. And I think it will be especially fun in a BYU ward where everybody is a church all-star and has great insights into the gospel. You know what's funny? Now when I write elders quorum pres, exec secretary, teaching development coordinator, under past callings on getting to know you sheets, the bishopric looks me at me totally differently, and are like oh...we need to put you to work. I just thought it was funny because I saw the councilor's reaction when he saw my sheet, and he seemed surprised. What? Aren't I just oozing with spirituality? Can't you tell by the halo around my head? But really...should it make any difference? No, of course not, but people will always automatically make certain assumptions because of those titles. I could have been terrible at fulfilling those callings. You never know.
  • We have these weekly forums in my program where professors come in and talk about their research, and they talk about the most interesting stuff. And they always have a gospel orientation, which is really cool. Last week we had a professor who spoke about genetics and environment, and how those things shape people. They found recently that there are certain genes within people that show a genetic link to depression, meaning that some people are more predisposed to experience periods of clinical depression when suffering through destabilizing situations. Some people are more naturally resilient than others, and this can have pros and cons about it. More interestinglty, however, was when he was sharing about a study of rhesus monkeys with offspring that are not their own. It should that offspring were prone to more fits of aggression when placed with a non-biological mother. The implication of this being that mothers are genetically composed to know how to better care for children that are their biological offspring than those who aren't. Expounding upon that, he then started to talk about how we have certain predispositions toward acting in certain ways, and when a parent, or anybody really, corrects us it actually alters the hard-wiring in our brains. And then we started to talk about whether or not it's possible to pass down those genetic alterations gained through experience. I guess it's called epigenetics. Something like that. Really interesting stuff.
  • I know I'm a big time BYU fan (wink), but I didn't really expect them to go undefeated this season. They've looked very unimpressive on the road, and they haven't been anybody good this season. There's difference between good and big name. And to be perfectly honest, we were overrated. I was looking at the top 10 list before we lost and I'm sure that were not even in the same league as most of those teams. You kidding me? We were rated above Georgia? Not even close. Sure, we can beat up on the bottom teams of other conferences, but no way we can hang with the SEC or Big 10 big boys. No way. Those are practically pro teams.
  • SO GLAD the Rays beat the Red Sox yesterday.
  • I had to look twice at the Raiders score yesterday - 16-13. Wait...how did we get more points than the other guys? That NEVER happens.
  • Even people in Utah are calling California residents about Proposition 8. Crazy.
  • The more I read Conference talks, or even go to church, the more hope I feel. Not that I was doubting, but this really is the time when God's kingdom will not be removed from the earth again. Kind of comforting.

I think that's enough for one potpourri post. Peace ya'll.

6 comments:

Anne said...

Go Utes!!

Taylor said...

I second that previous comment.

Salt H2O said...

Miss You Much.

Now the song will be stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Thanks.

Laura said...

dang, someone beat me to naming the tune. and i knew it. who are all these Utah commenters on your blog? I don't like it.

gregory said...

laura, chris moved to UT, so now his blog is available within the UT compound. that's how technology works. plus i like taylor, he's a good guy.

Jake & Brooke said...

Silva,

check out this site. http://www.kevinandbeanarchive.com/

They have all the Kevin and Bean shows.

Enjoy!