Friday, October 17, 2008

Proposition 8

UPDATE: Here is an additional support on why I support Proposition 8.

I noticed that someone I know had put up a link for this website, No On 8. I went to the website and then started sifting through the Fact v. Fiction page.

Frankly, I'm kind of tired of this issue, and I'm not even living in California. Although I wasn't the recipient of phone calls, several other people I know get calls regularly about going to firesides, participating in fundraisers, and they're not even in the state. They're transplants here, but in an effort to be thorough people are still calling them. That's fine.

What kind of bothers me about are little things. For example, a person I know on Facebook put up a status message that said something to the effect of So and So hopes that everyone registered to vote to support Proposition 8. You know what? No. That's not the reason you should register to vote. You should register to vote because you believe it's your responsibility to take part in the democratic process because all of the issues are important. And this one especially so. But maybe I should be happy that at least something is waking up these people to become more active in the political community, so I shouldn't begrudge them their enthusiasm...even though it still bothers me a little bit. I just hope that those same people don't disappear once this proposition passes, or doesn't.

Anyway, I digress. The Fact v. Fiction page is interesting. I know that people already convinced of one position will point out that the other side is distorting the facts, but I'm going to bring up these points anyway (these are the "fiction" points directly from the No on 8 website):

  • Teaching children about same-sex marriage will happen here unless we pass Prop 8. First, I think the wording on this particular point is bad. Even if you don't believe, it's a little bit tricky to figure out what it's actually saying. It's poorly worded. I don't know if that's on purpose or not. It is fact. If Proposition 8 doesn't pass, then the court mandated redefinition of marriage including all couples, regardless of orientation, will soon include teaching at the public school level. In fact, this has already started to happen. From the San Francisco Chronicle, Mayor Bloomberg officiated over a lesbian ceremony that was attended by a 1st grade class on a school sponsored field trip.

    In Massachusetts where marriage has already been redefined, the Anti-Defamation League stated in their amicus curae brief that: "From the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) Amicus Curiae Brief: “In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, where the right of same-sex couples to marry is protected under the state constitution, it is particularly important to teach children about families with gay parents.” [p 5]“Diversity education is most effective when it begins during the students’ formative years. The earlier diversity education occurs, the more likely it is that students will be able to educate their peers, thereby compounding the benefits of this instruction.” [p 3]"

    Targeting public schools was among the first order of business once marriage had been legally redefined. One of the common responses is that even if public school curriculum teaches that parents can opt-out for their children, opponents to defining marriage as strictly between a man and a woman are seeking to deny parents those rights.

    From an ACLU amicus curae brief: “Specifically, the parents in this case do not have a constitutional right to override the professional pedagogical judgment of the school with respect to the inclusion within the curriculum of the age-appropriate children’s book…King and King.” [p 9]“This court has astutely recognized that a broad right of a parent to opt a child out of a lesson would fatally compromise the ability of a school to provide a meaningful education, a conclusion that holds true regardless of the age of the child or the nature of the belief.” [p 18]“First, a broad right of a parent to opt a child out of a lesson would subject a school to a staggering administrative burden…Second, in contravention of the axiom that ‘the classroom is peculiarly the ‘marketplace of ideas’’ [citations], a broad right of a parent to opt a child out of a lesson would chill discussion in the classroom…Third, the coming and goings of those children who have been opted out of lessons would be highly disruptive to the learning environment. Moreover, such comings and goings would fatally undermine the lessons that schools teach the other students.” [pp 22-23]. Source - Protect Marriage.
  • Fiction: Churches could lose their tax-exemption status. This is fact. I wish I could find the links, but there are a number of instances where this is the case. A Catholic adoption agency was forced to close its doors because they refused to allow gay parents to adopt children. In another instance, a Methodist church with an open area that refused to allow same sex marriage ceremony in its confines lost its tax-exempt status. A doctor who refused to perform in vitro fertilization procedures for a lesbian couple lost his license because the couple later sued him for discrimination, even when he had given them alternative doctors who would perform the procedure. A photographer who didn't want to photograph a same sex marriage ceremony for a gay couple was sued by that couple. This also occurred after this photographer had given the couple alternative photographers who would have no problem doing so. I know these aren't all tax-exempt issues, but it's all related.
  • Fiction: Four Activist Judges in San Francisco…Fact - this is about four activist judges and people who are trying to take the laws out of the voters hands. This was an issue that was voted on several years ago that was passed by an overwhelming majority. On the site on this point it then begins talking about how marriage is a a fundamental right. That is not true. Marriage is not a fundamental liberty because there are still restrictions on it. Can people who want to marry their own sons and daughters legally do so? Can an adult marry a minor? Or multiple partners? This is a right but within certain contexts. This is about four activist judges who overturned the will of the voters. What's to argue on this point? This was voted on previously, and will have to be voted on again next month.
  • Fiction: People can be sued over personal beliefs. As I mentioned above people can, will, and have already been sued for their personal beliefs, because their belief then becomes labeled as discrimination over views about sexual orientation.
  • Fiction: Unless Prop 8 passes, CA parents won’t have the right to object to what their children are taught in school. Again, as I mentioned previously this is something that has already happened in the state of Massachusetts and will happen here if this proposition doesn't pass.

This proposition really is about safeguarding the family. Under California law, homosexual couples who agree to civil unions already have all of the tax and legal privileges that heterosexual couples do (full text of the Domestic Partner Rights and Responsibilities Act). The institution of mariage is what they're after in an attempt to mainstream the lifestyle. And in the end, studies show that children invariably are at a disadvantage when raised in a family without both mothers and fathers.

A lot of the argument for allowing same sex marriage (SSM) talks about it being a civil right. The problem with this right is that in will come to infrine on my right to live and believe how I choose. While supporters for SSM will argue that will not be the case, it will undoubtedly become an issue when they do attempt to teach and normalize the lifestyle in public schools, or when they come to our churches and attempt to force our hands recognize their marriages as being valid. Make no mistake, it will come to that point.

This commentary here gives some references for some of the points that I've made here in this post.

This website provides 10 reasons why we should oppose SSM. I really like this website because it is complete with references.

Here again is an LA Times editorial on the subject.

Here is a video on some people who have dealt with some of the issues regarding SSM:

This is not about discrimination. We're not saying that these people can't love how they choose to. If the proposition passes, these people will still be able to live their lives and have all of the same rights, privileges, and protections under the law that heterosexual couples are afforded. It's not about that. What this is about, and will eventually be about, is an infringement on our rights to believe and behave as we choose to see fit. Without the protection of a constitutional amendment, these activists will begin to go after our churches and legitimize their lifestyles that we don't agree with. More eloquently put in a Wall Street Journal article:

Religious freedom, too, is at stake. As much as one may wish to live and let live, the experience in other countries reveals that once these arrangements become law, there will be no live-and-let-live policy for those who differ. Gay-marriage proponents use the language of openness, tolerance and diversity, yet one foreseeable effect of their success will be to usher in an era of intolerance and discrimination the likes of which we have rarely seen before. Every person and every religion that disagrees will be labeled as bigoted and openly discriminated against. The ax will fall most heavily on religious persons and groups that don't go along. Religious institutions will be hit with lawsuits if they refuse to compromise their principles.

I feel like this post poorly expresses the opinion of its author, but I hope you at least follow the links, do some research and come to your own conclusions. I sent in my ballot yesterday with votes on all the issues, including my support of Proposition 8. I encourage you to look at the facts, and to do the same.

UPDATE: I found this article on a different website coming from a gay talk show host in LA. It's incredibly insightful, and articulates much better some of my own arguments from a viewpoint that I just don't have. It's really good, but for those who won't bother to click on the link, here is an excerpt:

As distressing as the state of the American family is today with the high rate of divorce and adultery, the situation is far less stable among gays. This is not a slur against gays as individuals, but rather the reality of what occurs when you have what I call the all gas and no brake environment of male/male sexuality. I should know. I am a gay male.

To say that unfortunately the gay world is in a general state of hyper-sexuality that is not conducive to relationships which marriage was intended to foster is to put it mildly. Further, almost all of the issues the gay left claims it is justifiably concerned about like property, health, and financial partnership issues have already been dealt with by many states and can be dealt with through further legislation as needed. Such legal changes would encounter far less political opposition.

The gay left has still not matured into a position of self-empowerment, but is still committed by and large to the idea that the rest of society must bless being gay in every way imaginable. This includes public parades in all major cities to remind everyone else of what some people like to do in their private bedrooms while in the same breath demanding to be left alone.

What more certifiable blessing than state sanctioned marriage of two men or two omen, even for a group that has offered no indication that most even desire to enter into the kind of commitments that marriage ideally entails, or that serves the real purpose of marriage. Marriage exists in order to create a stable and structured environment for couples to reproduce and raise their offspring.

And so we have come to yet another chapter in the story of those who would portray themselves as victims in need of another sanction from the state. This time the price of social acceptance of gays is the redefinition of an institution that is thousands of years old and a cornerstone of society. Does that really seem like a wise and prudent choice for America to make at the wish of a handful of judges, and at the behest of those whose real goals are more political than anything else?

11 comments:

Laura said...

very good points. I liked your analysis about the so-called "fictions". I feel like people just don't get it. Especially your point about marriage not being a fundamental liberty and how we do still put restrictions. I had not thought of that. good point. However, I will say I think you are a little over the top being annoyed about someone telling people to register to vote so they can vote yes on prop 8. really? is this a worthwhile annoyance? I don't think any reason for getting people to register to vote is lame.

Silvs said...

It's not keeping me up at night. I just think people should want to vote because that is a fundamental right to participate in a democracy. The right to vote is bigger even than this proposition. I just don't like that reasoning.

I realize it's trivial, but it's not like I'm the only person who gets annoyed at stupid stuff.

Jared said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jared said...

I was in on a conference call during church today. Pres H and a few other members and I actually skipped Sunday School to attend. President Clayton headed the call.

This is a BIG deal. When the church is having you skip part of your block to attend a conference call, you know it's something important to them.

Basically, they want us, the YSAs, to call a million people in California.

I think there is a lot of gray area within Prop 8, but what I'm starting to feel strongly is that this ultimately isn't about marriage, but rather the ability and right as citizens of a religious nature to practice our religion without being discriminated against.

Brenna said...

Thank you! I too am tired of this issue! I am ready to stop making phone calls and stop replacing signs that have been stolen along with my bumper sticker! Fortunately my car wasn't the one that got keyed. These people are ruthless and don't fully understand the consequences SSM will bring to the people of Cali.
That video was awesome, I hadn't seen that one yet.

How do you feel about me quoting some of this post on my blog? You said it SO well.

Silvs said...

Brenna...sure. You can quote whatever you like. The best stuff is not my own, but take whatever think will be useful.

gregory said...

this thing is tiring and i really appreciate the post & links. i really feel that it's all about the word 'marriage'. i say come up with a different word. don't demand the word 'marriage' while demanding silence and our ability to use words. it's also about the kids. think about the children.

laura does kind of have a point, i mean just b/c we have the right to bear arms doesn't mean i get annoyed at people that don't own guns. but if there were zombies attacking i would really encourage those w/out guns to purchase one and use it. yeah i said zombies.

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for your post. In the spirit of open dialogue (and not attack), can I ask you a couple of questions?
First of all, I am Christian, and married, and I support gay marriage. I'm wondering what it is, specifically, about gay marriage that puts my own marriage into question? If my friend Chris could marry his boyfriend, how would that make my marriage less valid or sacred? How would that diminish my own vows or my commitment to my husband and to God? The notion that allowing gay marriage would somehow put "traditional" marriage in question seems to lie at the heart of this issue, and I'm honestly wondering why you think that's so. I sincerely doubt that gay couples would come knocking on temple doors demanding to be sealed in droves (the priesthood ban on women has been what's kept me away from the LDS church, and I know many women who feel the same way--most people don't go where they know they're not welcome); and even if they did, Mormons need not perform the service if it's against the plan.

I also watched the video you posted (I admit that I haven't followed all your other links, as I'm on my lunch break and have limited time). It seems like the book the kindergartner came home with simply presented the fact that some kids might have two mothers or two fathers. This is already a reality: it's not contingent on legal marriage. Gay couples are having kids, and those kids go to schools. I don't want to here discuss whether or not gay couples should have kids; the fact is that these kids exist. You say that you support (or tolerate) civil unions because those unions extend all the legal rights of marriage to gay couples. If you feel that way, it seems like you're not in favor of open discrimination against homosexuals--perhaps least of all against their kids (who may be considered innocent at this point). If you really feel that way, are you in favor of demonizing these kids' families in their own schools? Are you in favor of just simply remaining silent about the fact that kids come from different backgrounds? This book did not even touch on explicit sexual behavior, or gay marriage, but simply presented the fact that some kids might come from different families. Parents can then discuss whether or not those families are in accordance with their own beliefs.

Once again, I appreciate your post and am posing these questions in an open spirit of dialogue.

Thanks, Mary

gregory said...

I know this is not my blog, but I would like to add my 2 cents: As a Mormon I am not too afraid of gay Mormons knocking on the Temple doors demanding marriage (as it is a private, not public edifice), however I feel opening any metaphorical doors and allowing changes in traditional behavior then allows the eventual knocking on other doors we don't know about. Especially since the feeling from the gay left is not only a demand for all doors to be opened, but in turn doors of free speech to be closed. I am tolerant, but when push comes to shove I won't take any steps back from my beliefs.

As far as the children are concerned, sure the kindergartners are merely informed that gay relationships exist, but when Sex-Ed is taught in the 5th grade the children will be informed of the sexual details especially b/c of the importance of safe sex. I would prefer to opt my children out and teach them with my wife. Children will be informed that gay marriage is a legal, valid option and they will be privy to details.

Marriage between one man and one woman is sacred because of its origins. Jehovah's witnesses (who don't celebrate birthdays) are keen on celebrating anniversaries because marriage is a holy institution of God. Marriage isn't of man - it is a religious tradition that is found in many faiths. Any derivatives of the original discount the meaning. Read the link to 10 reasons to not support SSM.

Children will always innocently struggle to understand their differences from other children. Legalization of SSM won't change that, it will just make comments or questions legally offensive. I don't want my children to be ignorant, nor to be attacked for their beliefs. SSM will affect us all. When actions meant to be behind closed doors are legalized, paraded down the streets, and taught to our children, it affects us all. Gays have all the same privileges as a marriage, why do they need the word too? Time will tell.

Silvs said...

I'm going to get back to this later tonight when I have some more time for pontificating, but run it as another blog post. Until then...

Douglas said...

Silvs,

Great post. I just wanted to respond here to one thing you said at the beginning about voter activism.

I used to believe that everyone should vote. I would honestly have a hard time not voting myself but that is because i believe in the system and the process. That being said, I have deduced that the founding fathers DIDN'T want everyone to vote. They intentionally did not make it obligatory. As weird as it sounds, having people vote that don't know anything about the issues and have no vested interest, only serves to water down or in some cases sway the verdict. I know friends who have gloated voting for Joe Candidate and marking Yes No Yes No to all the rest of the initiatives.

I believe that the forefathers' attitude is something that I align myself with. I still wish more people would vote, but that they would do it by first caring and educating themselves about the issues.

I think what bugs me is not that the voting process is one of ebb and flow but that apathy generally prevails among most people. Everyone is willing to complain but they arent willing to do their homework to find out the real issues and heaven forbid actually DO something.

Anyway, just a quick thought. keep up the good work. miss ya bro.