Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Religulous

I just happened to catch this morning some of last night's Daily Show episode where Jon Stewart was interviewing Bill Maher, and talking about his new movie Religulous.

I enjoy Jon Stewart. I think the Daily Show for the most part is funny, but I hate the politics, and I hate that they so grossly misrepresent consevative viewpoints. It's the same reason I can't listen to NPR. And it's not that I can't listen to an opposing viewpoint, but I hate that it's so often done with so much contempt for the Right.

That's mostly what I felt after watching the interview with Bill Maher. Admittedly, a good amount of what he said was done in a humorous way, but there is so much vitriol behind the things that they say. It's one thing to disagree with the things that I believe in, but it's another to mock those beliefs so vehemently. And I can't say that it's something uncommon, or even new. This is how it always has been, and always will be.

Is it unfair to say that this is the typical view of the liberal left? Probably not. I think also that this is pretty representative of the media in general and how they view religion, and maybe Christianity in particular. This is part of what fuels the fervor behind the hatred for Sarah Palin.

Doesn't mean that it's not annoying though. For what it's worth, here's the trailer:



And here is Bill explaining his film on Larry King:

2 comments:

cropstar said...

I so agree with you on this topic.

BTW, have you seen the trailer and website for the movie "An American Carol"?

Dave said...

Bill Maher's an ass. I saw him on Conan. He thinks he's really clever.

The reality is that most people in the world are religious. Why would you want to take your tiny sliver of human ideology and tear down, make fun, and generally belittle that which does so much good for so many people.

Yeah... sometimes I end questions with periods.