Sunday, February 22, 2009

That's The Deal

***Disclaimer: To be honest, I don't really like this post. I guess what I don't like is that it's a serious subject that I feel inadequate in explaining in the manner that it deserves. Hopefully something useful comes out of it for you.

One of the blogs I subscribe to is the Best Article Every Day site that is usually either funny or about tech stuff. Occassionally they have articles that come from some author(s) that writes about his atheism. Mostly these are inane articles, and the author has this air of superiority about him that I just find really annoying. I thought this last one was interesting. Here is an excerpt:

“Speaking of Jesus, let me ask you this. You occasionally sing the gospel lyrics, ‘from the earth to the cross my debt to pay from the cross to the grave from the grave to the sky Lord I lift your name on high’. If given the opportunity, being present at the crucifixion and knowing what you know now, would you save this purported ’saviour’ from murder? If you knew you could succeed and assuming you love him as much as you claim, would you retrieve him from torture and death, or would you watch him suffer and expire in order to win your so-called salvation? Which is essentially a selfish act.”

My coworker’s eyes seemed to expand three times the size of their original state, he said nothing and shook his head as he walked off. This time, he was not humming a reassuring hymn, but it seemed as if he was truly perplexed about what actions he would take.

I was able to return to the project at hand, without further interruption from ‘witnessing’ events.
My first reaction to the story is one of surprise because this seems like such an easy argument to invalidate. Someone with any knowledge of the scriptures and even the most marginal faith should be able to see through this question, so it's disappointing that the man of faith in this story is depicted as someone who doesn't seem to have much grounding in Christianity. And the rest of my reaction revolves around feeling annoyed at the pride the atheist has in forcing another person to question his faith. Anyway...

Jesus was not only well aware of his impending death, but broadcasted it to his apostles. Probably one of the most significant of these instances occurred just after Jesus had announced that he would confer the keys of the kingdom to Peter. Matthew 16:21-24 reads:
From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.

Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.

But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow dme.

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
Aside - I remember one time when I was talking to my brother about the church and talking about the need for modern day prophets, he used this scripture as evidence that prophets can lead us astray, but I know better now.

This scripture has, I think, very relevant application to the scenario proposed by the atheist. We don't need a time machine to test out this hypothetical question because the Lord responded to it himself. Peter was an apostle, heard Jesus talk about his death, and vowed that he would protect him. For that, Jesus severely rebuked him, even referring to him as Satan which is the ultimate of insults coming from the only perfect person who has ever lived. So why the rebuke? Was Peter evil for wanting to save Jesus?

The problem for the atheist is the topic of life after death. Death is the severest punishment to someone without any grounding in the gospel, but to a Christian who believes in the Living Christ, death is just a step toward the fulfillment of God's plan of salvation. Peter was so severely chastised because his desire to spare Jesus' death on the cross is in direct violation of the fulfillment of that plan. Christ not only accepted his fate, but forbade anyone else from trying to prevent it.

In another instance, after Judas had betrayed Jesus and led the Romans to him, Peter's first reaction was to resist the arrest, to protect the Lord. Instead, Jesus gently rebuffed Peter's efforts saying, "thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?" (Matthew 26:53). Again, the reaction is the same. The sin comes not from allowing Christ to die to win salvation, but from trying to "save" him to prevent his suffering. The suffering of sin and death is what allowed Christ to ascend into the role as Savior.

Christ himself declared to Pilate, "to this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world" (John 18:37). His mission was to do the will of the Father. While speaking to the Nephites on this side of the world after his resurrection he declared in 3 Nephi 27:14-15:

And my Father sent me that I might be lifted up upon the cross; and after that I had been lifted up upon the cross, that I might draw all men unto me, that as I have been lifted up by men even so should men be lifted up by the Father, to stand before me, to be judged of their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil—

And for this cause have I been lifted up; therefore, according to the power of the Father I will draw all men unto me, that they may be judged according to their works.
Nothing was going to prevent him from carrying out that plan. Not even Pilate who thought he was in the position of authority when he reminded Christ that he had the power to release him, to which the Lord responded, "Thou couldst have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above" (John 19:11).

To someone without an eternal perspective, death is something to be avoided at all costs, there is no purpose to suffering. The avoidance of pain and the procurement of pleasure is the point of mortal existence. As was so eloquently put in the biopic of C.S Lewis' life Shadowlands, "the pain now is part of the happiness then. That's the deal."

Speaking about suffering, President Kimball said:

Being human, we would expel from our lives physical pain and mental anguish and assure ourselves of continual ease and comfort, but if we were to close the doors upon sorrow and distress, we might be excluding our greatest friends and benefactors. Suffering can make saints of people as they learn patience, long-suffering, and self-mastery.

Think in your own life about those people whom you have encountered who have been forced to deal with great hardships, sickness, tragedy, etc. How often have you seen that those who have experienced tragedy firsthand often are the same ones with an increased capacity for love, compassion, and understanding? How often are they the first, last, and most effective responders in showing compassion and understanding others?

It's not that we seek out pain, but with the right perspective we can let it enhance the people that we become. Our extremities are God's opportunities. Christ knew this and embraced the challenges that he faced. His suffering and death is what allowed him to become the author and finisher of our salvation.

1 comment:

Dave said...

What faith atheists have in their belief that there is no God.