Monday, July 6, 2009

Saturday In The Park, I Think It Was The Fourth Of July

This year's Summer Christmas was not the best ever, but it was still pretty good, I must say. I don't know if anything will ever rival this 4th of July from two years ago, but that will always be one of my favorite stories. I'm a little saddened by the fact that after two years we have already forgotten to do the drunk-run reenactment.

We visited Newport again this year, which was nice for the most part. The weather was very compliant, and even with our smaller than usual group, we still had a good time. Although we might have to change venues next year because it's getting just a little too crazy down in those upper streets of Newport. It has probably become a little too adult-focused down there for all of the budding families we have in tow now.

The best part had to be the Angels game that night. They started playing that Chicago song, of which the title of this post pays tribute, and I just felt so content. I wonder if anyone else noticed that song playing and thought how perfectly appropriate it was. Sadly, it was my first game of the year. I know. Crazy, right? Especially considering that I was able to go to opening day the last two years in a row. The Angels went down early, but blew up in the later innings which was nicely punctuated by Vlad hitting a home run in the 8th to seal it.

Maybe even better than the Angels game itself is the addition of this little guy to this year's festivities:
For some more Mason pics on this day, visit this link. No doubt that the best part of being home is the wealth of chitlins around here. I think I'm starting to develop my baby-soothing technique. It's impossible to not become attached to that little guy. Last night he started crying, and I had never seen the pouty lower lip and it just melted me.

Anyway, the fireworks display was great. The day ended very nicely. I love this holiday and I love this country. What a blessing it is to be able to call myself an American. Hope you all enjoyed it.

2 comments:

Moomby said...

absolutely adorable picture

Caitlin said...

I actually thought when I heard that song playing too, "someone deserves to feel really clever right now." Hooray for Summer Christmas!