Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Celebration...About Time!

I had a dream last night, I don't even remember the rest of the details of it, but the essential message was that I didn't get the sports consulting fellowship. I was really bummed in my dream. The reason they gave was insufficient funding, which I thought was weird because it's already an unpaid fellowship, so how do you get cheaper than free, right? I was disappointed, but I accepted it pretty quickly and felt like I was content to move on to other things, even after I had woken up.

I had a phone interview the Friday almost two weeks before we left for Europe, so that was August 26th or thereabouts. The guy said he'd let me know the following Monday. When I got no call, I followed up to let him know that I would be out of the country until the 11th. At first I was nervous when I didn't hear back, but then he let me know that he was also out of the country and would be getting back to me.

When we came back from our trip and I still hadn't heard anything, I thought that was a good sign because I figured if I didn't get it, I would have just gotten an email saying I missed the cut. But after a few days of being back and not hearing anything, I got nervous again, hence, the dream.

Then about a half hour ago an email notification popped up and the guy's name with the word "Congratulations" was immediately invisible and I got really excited after that. How do you celebrate at about 8:30 in the morning when everyone is at work and doing stuff, and you don't see anyone online?


The work is basically this: I will be assisting some professors at the University of Pittsburgh in research and manuscript authoring in behavioral trait research as it relates to sports. I will work directly with a senior member of the company and gain greater knowledge and experiences within the greater sports industry. Fun, right?

It's only 15 hours a week and I set my own schedule so I'm excited as this is just another resume builder for the next few months and one that could potentially lead to work directly related to my degree field in something that sounds right up my alley. I have to say, it's just really validating to get job offers and opportunities. When everything first started to unfold and it was looking like I was a shoe-in, I was feeling really confident about my career path and opportunities, but when it started to peter a bit, I was left feeling unsure of myself.

Don't worry though, because I'm feeling back on top of things. It's a nice feeling.

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

Congrats! Sounds like it's right up your alley :)

Lisa said...

Oh, I'm so glad you got it!! Congratulations. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Amy Silva said...

So proud of you, babe!

Colette said...

Congratulations!!