Tuesday, June 21, 2011

At Last: Troping

So down in Mona (where is Mona, you ask? Why it's just past the lavender farms if you're heading south down the I-15, but before you get to Nephi) there is a pond of pure exquisiteness. This little town is devoid of any real attraction that would ever bring anyone but Mona residents within its city boundaries. It boasts a population of 850 citizens that is 98% white, which is crazy to me.

But yeah. Nothing there worth going to see, except for this one thing...

Troping. Some guys we know coined the term which is this - TRee-rOPE-swINGING. I have been wanting to go and visit this place ever since I first heard about it, which was a year or two ago. It is at least my new favorite thing in 2011. I am in love with it. There is this lake/pond down there, with trees that are strong enough to bear the weight of some pretty large men which hang out perfectly over this blissful oasis.

On Saturday when we went it was a very pleasant 82 degrees. The water is a little brisk, but not even as cold as most of the lakes up here. Our friends have even gone to the extent of naming the two trees where troping happens, Ruth and Maryland. We spent our whole afternoon with Maryland, awash in her cool shade while she lifted us to fits of joy that usually demand a cost of admission. These guys also bring with them their own ropes which are fashioned out of webbing and a ski rope handle.

Doesn't just the sight of it take your breath away? Anyway, it's a place where dreams come true. Ever since we went on Saturday I really can't stop thinking about it. I'm totally serious when I say I'm obsessed. I would go everyday if I could. You know how I get kind of fanatical about certain things that I really love it? That's me and troping right now. For more pictures and a video, visit Amy's blog.

2 comments:

Douglas said...

nice plumber's crack that was conveniently framed in the shot.

Did you see pics of the tree swing in the Redwoods we did last summer? I'll try and dig them up for you. Ryan and Tyler did it. So proud of them...

Unknown said...

I've camped at Mona Lake before!