Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Weekly Roundup

Our summer is quickly becoming very, very busy. This past week I ended up saying goodbye to a friend of mine that is going back to his real life in New York. In just short of a year, he has seen the dissolution of his marriage, ended up taking a leave of absence from work, came back to Utah for a few months, and is now returning to everything that is facing him out there. I won't get into more details than that it has been a very trying experience for him. What's been amazing to me has been witnessing his progression from very low-lows back to a level that is contented and quite accepting, especially given his circumstances.

I've loved having him back here for my own selfish reasons of just enjoying the rekindling of that old friendship. He was ushered out this week by the arrival of the Reids as they all came to celebrate the marriage of their father's second marriage.

It was a mostly understated and nice event. The kids came with all their kidlets and we played more games than anyone can really handle. We ate many meals out and my favorite part was the further development of mine and Amy's relationship with Dave's kids. We didn't get to see some of the other quasi-nieces and nephews as I would have liked, but it seems like Amy and I are pretty grounded into Mason's consciousness, and I couldn't be happier about that.

What's so amazing about all of this is witnessing firsthand the devastation that divorce brings, combined with the reasons that initiated the divorce in the first place. It devastates a person and is just about one of the most traumatic events that could ever happen in a person's life. However, in spite of how soul-crushing and heart-breaking the experience can be, people find ways to bounce back, and I have to attribute that to the healing and peace that the Atonement brings. The miracle of the Atonement includes not only the miracle of forgiveness, but the miracle of binding of the broken-hearted.

What's more is that I've also been a witness to a lot of success stories from my close friends and family to my new family that now includes the Waltons. The marriages and families of these people have the blueprints in them of everything that I yearn for in my own life, and the wonderful part about all of it is that it becomes available through temple covenants and faithfulness to each and the gospel.

And that was this past week. Now back to work, running, and everything other responsibility that I have been neglecting.

Something reminded me of this SNL clip this week, so just thought I'd share. Love this one:

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

hahaha. I think I get it -- I buy something I really want and then hope that I have the money for it.

It was so great to see you guys except that you have enslaved me to yet another game :) Can't wait to see you guys again (and play more games!) in a couple weeks.