Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Running Season

For the last couple years my running season has started earlier and earlier. The first three marathons I ran were all at the beginning of Fall, meaning that I was doing the peak of my running in August and September. September is not a bad time to run in Utah, but August is kind of horrific, unless you can get out early, which I have always had a problem doing. Now that I'm running a marathon in June, however, my season starts this month and peaks in April-May.

Anyway, I really enjoy having a seasoned of heightened physical activity. Since about 2006 or so, I have actually been really good about exercising regularly. I was prompted by my fat period where I was about 20 lbs more than I am now, wondering how my diet of fast food and mainly soda were holding me down. Then I got a gym pass, lost more than 25 lbs in two months, and I've never really looked back.

I guess I don't ever really take a long break, but I definitely do ramp up my activity level, and this year I have added more lower body workouts to supplement my running. I had a nagging injury that I couldn't really pinpoint that started back in November and never really left. After talking to a few people about it, I started focusing more on strength exercises and weight training and it has made a world of difference.

In the last month I've run consistently 4 times a week, worked harder on my legs and maintained the other lifting that I do, and my 2 month long nagging injury is now only in the background and I hardly notice it now. Yesterday I did 60 lunges, hamstring curls, leg presses, calf raises, and then I ran 5 miles right after. The start of my run was tough, but by the end I was down to a 7 minute mile. I felt pretty awesome.

I even went out and bought a kettlebell that I'm looking to incorporate more into everything that I do. The standard kettlebell swing is great for the hamstrings and glutes, but there are a few more back exercises that I think will be really great.

So far I'm only signed up for the Utah Valley Marathon, but I will probably pick up at least one more half, a mud run (Tough Mudder anyone?), and maybe do my first tri this year.

It's just kind of exciting is all.

2 comments:

Colette said...

Man, good for you Chris! Keep up the good work!
K... and that tough mudder looks INTENSE!! You seriously thinking about doing it?!

Silvs said...

Yup. Totally serious about it. Only problem is the price tag. Costs more than the marathon I'm running.