Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Best TV Show You're Not Watching

That's right, Pushing Daisies. I have several TV shows that I enjoy quite religiously - The Office, Scrubs, 30 Rock, Heroes - but there's nothing I look forward to each week more than Pushing Daisies, with the exception of maybe Scrubs. However, my problem with Scrubs the last couple of seasons is that is hasn't been quite as good as it was through the first six seasons. But don't get me wrong, I do still really love it.

I enjoy the sitcoms that combine great humor with sincerity. I think Scrubs does (or has done at least) that better than any other show on TV. I used to love The Office more than anything, but it's been lacking for me this season, and maybe after it came back from the writer's strike last season also (for some reason the videos are a little slow to load, so give them a minute).




Maybe I just need there to be more drama between Pam and Jim. Killing the budding romance between Michael and Holly annoyed me a little bit too because I'm not really that interested in what else has been going on with the other characters, namely, the triangle between Dwight, Andy, and Angela. And the overall comedy of the show isn't so high that it's been able to do without the sincerity portion that it had going for it previously. Frankly, it's already getting old for me. There, I said it. But this post isn't supposed to be about The Office.

Pushing Daisies has the most clever writing of any show on television right now. The dialogue of the characters moves quickly and is incredibly witty. Each show has a mystery element to it, while the entire show has overarching storylines involving each major character. Even the set designs are artistic, featuring lots of color with a touch of flamboyance, forcing the eyes alone to absorb each scene.

Do yourself a favor and start recording this show, or setting that time aside every Wednesday night. I promise you won't be disappointed, unless you have no soul. This isn't just the best TV show you're not watching, it's the best TV show on the air.

I have to give all the credit to Amy for turning me onto this show (I know what I just did). I trust her judgment in a number of different arenas and her suggestion to watch this show was among the first things that alerted me to her great taste.



No comments: