Friday, November 7, 2008

You're the Best Around

So I'm kind of funny with my TV watching. I only watch sports live. I record a few sitcoms, and then I always record movies. I can't stand commercials, but at the same time I can't stand watching recorded sports. I always end up just skipping to the end.

Earlier this week I watched Gross Pointe Blank. I love John Cusack, and I love the dark humor of that movie. In the movie he's a hitman going to his 10-year high school reunion, and his secretary (played by his sister Joan) mentions that she had recently gone to hers. He asks her what it was like, to which she responds, "it's like everybody swelled." I never noticed that joke before this last time around, but I just love it.

I wish I could find the scene at the end when he's protecting his old girlfriend's father. What happens is that he's back in his home town for a hit only to realize that it is on her father. While trying to patch things up with her he goes to protect her father because a competing contractor is also out to kill the dad. In one of the last scenes he's in a fight with one of the killers, and Debbie and her father come around the corner to see John hit the guy with a frying pan, unload the rest of his rounds into the body, and then hit him again with the frying pan. The whole time he's killing all these guys he keeps on trying to talk to her about their relationship, and after they see him kill this guy he looks up at them, tosses the frying pan, and nonchalantly resumes his plea to her saying, "Debbie, I'm in love with you, and I really think we can make this relationship work." Oh man, there's so much good stuff about that movie.

Every few years I watch the Karate Kid. Today happened to be one of those days. It is so silly, but my reaction to the final scene is the same every time. Cue the dramatic music when Johnny elbows Daniel's knee, assume the crane position, win the tournament, and my eyes well up every time. That has to be one of the iconic 80's films. I don't know any boy growing up in that decade who didn't spend dozens of hours practicing that crane kick. Plus, Elizabeth Shue is one of the most unappreciated beautiful women in Hollywood. Or at least that used to be in Hollywood. I want to make my own skeleton costume or have the Cobra Kai karate gi that they have in the tournament for Halloween some time.

Bonsai!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i freakin love this movie. silva, i think i was watching this movie at the exact time you were watching it. i kinda felt like i had you in my arms for a moment there.