Friday, December 5, 2008

Blogworthy?

So I'm back in California after just a four day absence. I can't believe just how pleasant this place is. I probably appreciate it more now because I'm in Utah, but it really does just put me in the best mood to be in a place that is just so...comfortable. Know what I mean?

Anyway, I was telling Dave this morning about how any time something even remotely interesting crosses my path I first ask myself, is that blogworthy? Is this worth posting? Can I make it interesting/insightful/funny? And then when I do come up with a post that I know is good and also gets a good response, I'm so proud. I know not everything I put in here is 5-star material, but hopefully it's intriguing enough to keep you coming around. Or maybe you're just that bored that you keep on poking around.

I just wanted to mention a couple of quick things:

  • This morning I woke up with Blame It On The Rain in my head. Seriously. And I loved it. Seriously.
  • I'm really upset that the five of you who read this blog didn't start watching Pushing Daisies right away and then started convincing all of your friends that they need to watch it too. It got cancelled a couple weeks ago, and it's mostly attributed to the writer's strike last winter because it occurred right as the show was starting to build a fan-base. I love Kristen Chenoweth's character Olive, and I love even more that they feature her singing every so often to showcase her voice. She was the original Glinda in Wicked. Hers is the voice on the album. This is from the last episode:

    Gotta love The Bangles...and Olive.
  • I was having a conversation recently and telling my friend that it was only about a month ago that I realized what the song Pony by Ginuwine was about. That song was released more than a decade ago and I seriously had no idea what it was referring to until a few weeks ago. I guess I never really listened to the song that often anyway, but mostly I'm glad that my thoughts don't drift often enough in that direction to pick up on those messages all the time. I bring this up because I heard a rock version of the song on KROQ this morning and it was too catchy to ignore. I would post a video, but I'm realizing just how raunchy the song really is so I'd rather not put that content directly on my blog, but here's a link to the band's MySpace page where you can listen to it. It's really catchy. The band is called Far.
  • I was on Rufio's MySpace page this morning and was listening to the acoustic version they have on there of Above Me. I love it. This is for Dave, Greg, and Mike. Check it out. I hadn't heard this one before.
  • Still following politics. I just haven't been that excited about any of it. I did hear an interesting story the other day about what was going on inside of the LA temple while the Anti-Prop 8 protestors were outside and the temple had just received the envelope with the white powder. The girl who was telling me about it had a cousin that was a veil worker there that day. I guess this has already started to make the rounds via email so maybe you've already heard this, but they had to close the temple down immediately. Luckily (?) there was a biochemist attending that day who actually specializes in hazardous substances and he was able to immediately identify the sub...and that was where I stopped when the mirror fell over and mercifully dodged hurting anything of real value. Right there. As I was saying...identify the substance as talc powder so all of the people knew right away that they weren't in danger, but they still had to close the temple until the FBI and hazmat people could come and clear them. The people were stuck in there for about eight hours, with everyone stuck in their exact locations when the word spread about the white powder. So what did they do? That's right...ordinances. All day long. As it turns out, they had performed only two less ordinances than they had the day before when three local stakes had temple days at the temple. You can't stop the Mormons. No unhallowed hand...
  • Guy from my mission is moving out to Connecticut for grad school in the winter. I guess they're having a hard time trying to find someone to rent their place, so if you're in Utah or looking to move into Utah, they have a place in American Fork that you should check out. They're offering December free and rent for $150 below market value for their place because he doesn't want to have to start a semester late. Check it out here.

Is this burning an eternal flame?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Kristen Chenoweth was on Martha Stewart today. She's a terrible seamstress. Martha told her so.

cropstar said...

Silvs... your blog rocks my blogworld. I think you really get what constitutes 'blogworthy'. Well done.

Anne said...

I'm so sad that Pushing Daisies has been canceled (and Eli Stone too). From what I read we faithful fans won't even get closure. Apparently the cliffhanger final episode was shot before they were told that the network wouldn't be buying more episodes and they don't have the budget to reshoot. So sad.

Caitlin said...

I get the mirror reference!

kent said...

sorry i didnt help with the pushing daisies cause. really. i tried the same with arrested development a few years ago and no one listened. yet all those same people now love the show once they have watched the dvd's. i want to say thanks for supporting, but they are 3 years late. oh well, maybe they will make a pushing daisies movie.