Monday, December 22, 2008

Dickensian Christmas

Ahhh, Christmas at home. Even though it's been raining, I'd still take it over the cold that has settled over most of the country. Shopping is almost done. I was just reading an article that seemed appropriate for the season that speaks a little of A Christmas Carol. Apparently Dickens was quite overcome when he came up with the idea for the book:

When the story of A Christmas Carol came to Charles Dickens, “he wept over it, laughed, and then wept again,” writes Les Standiford, author of the winsome new book The Man Who Invented Christmas. With “a strange mastery it seized him,” a friend said of the yarn. Dickens wrote the book in six weeks in 1843 and believed in it so deeply that he undertook all the financial risk himself of publishing it.
I've still got a ways to go through the book, but it has been fun reading. Anyway, read the article. It's worth it. Merry Saturnalia!

1 comment:

cropstar said...

SINGSTAR!! Dude that makes me so happy that you have it now. It really is the most amazing thing ever invented EVER.
My friend got me the 5 versions I didn't already own for christmas (yes it is great having rich friends) so now I own all EIGHT VERSIONS. Talk about best christmas of my life!
So... I'm thinking we need to plan a Singstar gathering for the next time I'm in Provo or you're in Vegas. Hands in?