Monday, June 1, 2009

Moab In 24 Hours

It's amazing to me that I went through my entire undergraduate education and didn't once go camping in any of the beautiful terrain that Utah has to offer. Luckily, this last weekend, my ward went down and we spent about a day in Moab, which isn't enough, but still worth the trip.

There was a good group of people who went. We all arrived Friday night, camped near the house of one of our members, and then everyone kind of went their separate ways in the morning. People went mountain biking, jeeping, mountain climbing, and hiking. I went with a group that climbed up to this Cable Arch, aptly named because it features a cable and an arch. And while at the top, we happened to capture this (my) favorite pic of the trip:


Later in the day, a group of us hiked down Mill Creek and found this little watering hole that features a nice pool to jump into. There was a turned ankle and some bruised feet, but I managed to avoid any injury. It never looks that big until you get up there and jump off, and then you feel that tendency to roll down the windows. It was pretty awesome.
I was really struck by how beautiful the landscape was. The last time and only other time I went to Moab was when I was 14 years old, so I couldn't remember much about the scenery. Being that money will be a little tight this summer, but still having the itch to go out and see, hopefully I'll be able to get some more opportunities for camping and exploring the American Southwest.

My favorite thing about my ward is that even with 50 or so different people that showed up Friday night, I can't think of one person that I wouldn't have enjoyed sitting down and getting to know. Everyone here is so great - down to earth and just easy to get along with. I may not become best friends with all of them, but very rarely have I felt so comfortable with so many different kinds of personalities.

Well...except for one guy. But I didn't run into him at all. He just kind of weirds me out. I'm excited for my next road trip - June 12th to see Strung Out at the Hard Rock in Vegas. Woo!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Take 2:

Jeeping? Like, "Girl, you been jeeping behind my back?" a la Clueless?

Silvs said...

Ha! Worth the wait. Thanks for your diligence.