Thursday, May 31, 2007

My Summer TV Love


I love NBC Thursday nights. I love My Name Is Earl; I love the Office; I love Scrubs; I love 30 Rock. Some people don't dig on all the romance that's involved with the Office, but to be honest, that is what makes me feel compelled to watch the show. I can see funny on a lot of TV shows, but not feel attached to what is going on from week to week. I don't know if anybody else is like this, but when there are no new developments with Jim and Pam and Karen, then I'm actually disappointed. Having a storyline carry throughout the season binds me to those characters. It helps me root for Pam. It keeps me glued from week to week. So I was pretty bummed when the season finales all creeped up on me, leaving me unprepared for the long hard summer with no real TV love. And then I remembered. I had completely forgotten about it. I felt bad. It's like I had a sweet date with a girl that I've been so stoked on getting to know better all year, but then the week we're supposed to go out there's a nuclear fall-out and somehow I forgot that we had plans for Wednesday and Thursday from about 8-10 all summer long. Okay, maybe not so much like that, but I can't believe I forgot about it.

It = So You Think You Can Dance

Someone who just read that is thinking, wait, all of that build up for that? And then somebody else is like...oh HELL yeah. And maybe the second person is like, I felt the exact same way, but then that girl called me up after American Idol and asked me what we were doing and how she should dress and I'm thinking to myself, OH YEAH! Thank my lucky stars she called because I totally forgot that we were going to watch the sweetest freaking show ever.

I don't know what it is, but I just don't care for other reality shows. I'm not impressed by American Idol. Maybe it's because I don't really have any musical ability and so I can't really appreciate that. I can't appreciate the craft that is involved with different singing styles. I do really dig the beauty of it, but not so much the craft. Does that make sense? So I don't think I will tap into the full experience that others might, by watching those people compete to be an American Idol.

On the other hand, I am a somewhat athletic person. I can play most sports pretty well. I know what it's like to see athletic talent displayed in variety of different arenas. I know firsthand what it's like to work on some type of physical ability and develop that to the point that it's just perfect. I've been through hours upon hours of practice and sweated gallons and gallons of sweat trying to hone particular skills and abilities. So when I watch this show sometimes I'm just flat out amazed at what some of these people can do. Like sometimes you see some of these things and the only thing you can say is, DAMN. Last night there was a dude from Houston that was popping and it gave me the chills. I watched it several times. Mouth to the floor, heart-pounding moves. And there have been a myriad of routines where I have felt that many times over. With this particular show I appreciate the craft as well as the artistry and that gives me a very full experience. Plus once you start watching these shows you become attached to certain people and that is part of their intrigue, as well. Last year I got hooked on Benji from the get-go, probably because he's LDS, but also I just felt like I knew a lot of people like Benji, and so that helped me feel like I knew him. And then last night, he totally shows up and now his sister is in the competition. And she's awesome. Now I've already got somebody else to be excited about. Summer lovin, happened so faaaaaaast. Summer lovin, so you think you can daaaaance...

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

Hi fellow fan of the best summer show ever! TVpalooza lives on!