Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Thank You, 2nd Amendment

I caught this story earlier about some college students who were saved by one of their own. Here's an excerpt:
Bailey said he thought it was the end of his life and the lives of the 10 people inside his apartment for a birthday party after two masked men with guns burst in through a patio door.

“They just came in and separated the men from the women and said, ‘Give me your wallets and cell phones,’” said George Williams of the College Park Police Department.

Bailey said the gunmen started counting bullets. “The other guy asked how many (bullets) he had. He said he had enough,” said Bailey.

That’s when one student grabbed a gun out of a backpack and shot at the invader who was watching the men. The gunman ran out of the apartment.

The student then ran to the room where the second gunman, identified by police as 23-year-old Calvin Lavant, was holding the women.

“Apparently the guy was getting ready to rape his girlfriend. So he told the girls to get down and he started shooting. The guy jumped out of the window,” said Bailey.
You know what my last thought was before going to bed last night? As I'm falling asleep I started thinking, "what if someone entered my house right now trying to rob me, or worse? I have my bat that's in my car, but I'd be forced to look for some heavy, blunt object if I couldn't get to it. I need to buy a gun. If I had any money right now, that's what I'd get."

Some people are just evil. I mean straight-up, bad intentions, pure evil. I would sooner kill that kind of person than run the risk of him harming myself or any of my loved ones. I'd rather have that on my conscience than run the risk of feeling like I should have done more to protect those around me. No question.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I have mixed feelings on this. I am kind of against having a gun in the house. I guess my thoughts are that majority of the time, if your house was invaded by someone with a gun that they likely would not use it unless you pulled out a gun. I mean, that guy was pretty lucky that they didn't start shooting back.

Silvs said...

The article mentions that they did start shooting back. One of the girls was shot in the crossfire, but in this case it would seem that the perpetrators were going to rape the women and plan on killing all the guys anyway, so it's a risk that you run.

I think you're assuming too much rationality on the part of the criminal. For someone to break into a house knowing that the residents could be home, to go into rooms where the residents might be, is there looking for people, not things. Someone who is just looking for things is a different type of animal, but someone who is looking for people is looking to inflict harm.

There is an evil type of purpose and brazenness to an individual who would knowingly enter into a home with the family there that you and I don't understand. Personally, I just don't think someone who would go to those lengths has the don't fire unless fired upon kind of mentality that you're hoping for. That feels naive to me.

Douglas said...

I have thought long and hard about this for years. I have previously said that I wouldn't want the burden of killing someone on my conscience. But I think I would do anything to protect my family. I agree with you Silva, I don't think that as rational people, we can fully understand the criminal mentality. I have a shotgun in the house but it is broken down and in a case - I even have amo - but setup on that is a couple minutes at best, if im fast, and lucky.

I believe that if finances were not as tight right now, I would probably own a hand gun. Especially with another female addition to the household pending. Don't get me wrong, I am afraid of the potential things that could go wrong in having a gun (handgun) in the house, but I believe that I am more afraid of being unprepared and unable to protect my family.