Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Pale Blue Dot

8 And it came to pass that Moses looked, and beheld the world upon which he was created; and Moses beheld the world and the ends thereof, and all the children of men which are, and which were created; of the same he greatly marveled and wondered.

9 And the presence of God withdrew from Moses, that his glory was not upon Moses; and Moses was left unto himself. And as he was left unto himself, he fell unto the earth.

10 And it came to pass that it was for the space of many hours before Moses did again receive his natural strength like unto man; and he said unto himself: Now, for this cause I know that man is nothing, which thing I never had supposed.


The speech is one given by physicist Carl Sagan. It's really nice, and totally reminded me of the above scripture found in the Book of Moses from The Pearl of Great Price.The video is really cool. Lots of fun movie clips interspersed throughout.

And then this trailer might make you want to cry, just a little bit. The movie has gotten great reviews, and I'm interested.



I did my taxes this morning on the really cheap. One of the financial blogs I follow gave a list of free federal filing services, and one of them listed was H&R Block. I filed my fed taxes for free, state ones for $9.95. I wasn't expecting to get anything back because there are no withholdings at BYU, but as it turns out, I qualified for $755 in refunds. Woo! Plus I cashed out my 401k from my old company, so I have a couple hundred more dollars coming to me. So the question is...what do I do with this windfall of money? I think I can spend half of it, and then be smart with the other half.

The fun half is going to fund my newfound golf habit, but what else? Hiking/camping stuff for the summer? Or put it towards the scooter fund? Or how about some more new clothes? I want too much, but at least these ducats that I've stumbled upon will help feed that appetite for at least a little bit. Taking the money goes against my conservative principles, but I think taking it also helps to bring to bear the consequences of our government's loose monetary policies, so in the end, it's actually helping, isn't it?

No comments: