Sunday, January 25, 2009

Even The New Covenant

Today I taught Sunday school and I don't think I really communicated as much as I wanted to and since you're my captive audience (sort of), you get the leftovers.

While preparing for the lesson last week, I asked a friend of mine who had served in the Palmyra visitor's center about any stories she had that were related to the coming forth of the Book of Mormon. She then began to talk about Martin Harris and the lost 116 pages of manuscript that Joseph had lent to him. I'd like to echo what she then began to express about the really cool aspect of that story, being that we are never too far off to come back to the path.

The worst that Joseph could have done at the point in time while translating the Book of Mormon was to have lost that manuscript. After years of preparation, admonition, and enduring persecution the last thing that he should have allowed was for those pages to ever escape his grasp, but he let it happen. A vengeful God should have punished him, and would have been justified in doing so. Nevertheless, Heavenly Father prepared a way so that not only would his work continue to go forward, but that Joseph and Martin could both have an opportunity to make amends, redeem themselves, and find redemption.

I have read the introduction page to the Book of Mormon dozens of times, but had never really noticed the phrase that states that the Book of Mormon "is to show unto the remnant of the House of Israel...that they are not cast off forever," until my friend had pointed it out as it relates to this story. I had never really understood before the amount of mercy found in that title page, but it's in there and it's absolutely true.

Even in spite of our best efforts to thwart His will, our Heavenly Father can consecrate even our mistakes for our gain so long as we submit ourselves to Him and follow His son, Jesus Christ. However grave the sin, or arduous the trial, Christ has paved the way for us that we might be able to return to our Father in Heaven, but it requires the steady dedication of a lifetime.

It's a tremendous comfort to know that while our vision is so finite, His is unlimited. All flesh is in his hands, and all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things. I'm grateful for that message that can be found throughout the gospel, in the story of the Restoration, in the scriptures, and particularly, as it's found in the Book of Mormon.

Another thing that also impressed me as I prepared to give the lesson today was the reality of these events. It's amazing to think of how grand so many of these things were (are), but they are nonetheless real. He is our Father. He has provided a way. He speaks to us today, and is involved in the details of our lives. I know it, and I'm grateful for that knowledge.

No comments: