Thursday, April 9, 2009

Nick Adenhart - 1986 -2009

The story appears also on the MSN homepage, but this is the ESPN version of the account. After making his first start of the year, Nick Adenhart of the Los Angeles Angels was killed last night by a drunk driver in an automobile accident.

Of course I didn't get to see the game, but I followed it live on Gamecast while I was doing some homework. He should have gotten the win for the game, but he got a no decision instead as the Angels bullpen surrendered 6 runs in the 8th and 9th innings.

I was able to catch his Major League debut last year when he got hammered by the A's. He couldn't find the strike zone that night, but when he did it was like he was serving up slow-pitch softballs for the A's hitters. One girl that was part of the group that I went with booed him relentlessly, and I kept telling her to just give him a chance because he was just making the first big league start of the year.

I don't know why this feels so personal to me. I think I was already feeling melancholy before I saw the story and this is just kind of pushing me over the edge. I think the details of the story make it that much more sad: his car was broad-sided by the minivan of a 22 year-old male who not only was driving drunk, but had a suspended license from already having been arrested for DUI previously.

While this kid was among the brightest of the Angels' pitching prospects, what's most heart-breaking to think about is that he was just on the cusp of establishing himself as bonafide MLB player. He was contracted to play for one of the best organizations in baseball, and last night he gave a glimpse of the promise that the Angels brass had seen in him when they drafted him 5 years ago. His life was so selfishly taken by someone who was already being punished for committing the very same crime he committed last night. And to be frank, the DUI laws are probably way too mild because so many people indulge themselves in a like manner. Society's permissiveness allowed for the offending driver to think he could get away with it because the punishment was not enough to deter him from trying to get away with it again. It's just sad.

Again...I was already feeling melancholy before seeing this story so I think that's where my tone is coming from. I didn't get much sleep last night because of school stuff, and life is such right now that I just happen to be in one of those moods.

If you need me, you can find me at the bar drinking myself into oblivion...

2 comments:

Dave said...

A DUI is a slap on the wrist. No one takes them seriously. No one has to serve the penalties listed on the statutes because it's just not that big of a deal to anyone.

How many people have to continue dying from something we can absolutely prevent?

Douglas said...

we need to take a page from germany in that regard. I think first offense is loss of license permanently.