Monday, April 6, 2009

Take Me Out To The Ballgame

Baseball is finally here. The Angels kicked off their season with a 3-0 shutout over the Oakland A's. For the first time in several years, winning the division is not a done deal. Oakland is a much more formidable team, especially after picking up MVP candidate Matt Holliday, not to mention they have some good young pitchers. The Mariners and Rangers probably pose little threat, but the bigger question marks remain within our own lineup. Can Juan Rivera produce? Is Vladimir Guerrero going to continue aging rapidly? Will our pitching staff do as well this season as they did last year? There are a lot of questions to be answered. I'm a big fan of Brandon Wood, and I think Howie Kendrick is an All-Star if he can avoid the injury bug. We'll see...

I'd give anything to be able to be in the Southern California sports scene right now. The last two years I've been able to go to the Angels' home opener, and this year I had to read the recap and watch the highlights online. The Lakers are poised for a good run into the playoffs, especially with Andrew Bynum coming back on before the end of the season. It's getting good right now. I miss the local cable playing my sports teams.

I'm so jealous that Laura goes to spring training. How lucky is Matt that his wife loves to do that as much as he does? If only I could be so lucky someday...

I do have some consolation, however. I will be home in less than two weeks and they will be in town so I'll be able to catch them then. And I talked to my friend who works for their minor league affiliate out here and he is the assistant general manager. He doesn't actually get to do all that much, but he is in charge of hiring and if I'm around, I can start working the ballgames. I love that idea, especially if I end up just sticking around here for the summer. We'll see, I guess.

I love baseball. Baseball is summer time. Summer time is warm. And summer time is carefree. I love warm and carefree. I can't wait to don my summer uniform of boardshorts and white t-shirts and sandals.

I miss that OC skyline. I'm excited to be come home. Go Angels! Go Lakers!

By the way: You can't hate on the love that Texans have for former President George W. Bush. Do you miss him yet? Whatever the case may be, we owe him a debt of gratitude. You know what else is pretty crazy? The guy runs a 7 minute mile, and he runs a lot. Cool, huh?

3 comments:

Laura said...

matt is lucky, huh? i will remind him of that. i love summer and baseball too...if only i didn't have kids cramping my style, i could make it to more ball games.

kent said...

you know if you blog about the angels i have to respond. the A's are much better than i thought. did you know they got nomah? i didnt realize that until just a couple days ago. he's old. not the nomah of 2002 days. but still. nomah, giambi, holiday. those are good off season acquisitions. they will be legit. im sure in typical A's fashion they will do terrible at the beginning of the season and then not lose a single game for the entire second half of the season.

who knows about our team. vlad's legs look like they are about to give out on him any minute. i wish kendrick would finally be the 40 hr 125 rbi guy that everyone says he is. i think the good thing is that we still have sciossa at the helm and the team is the perfect scrappy team that pesters opponents and somehow finds a way to win.

did you see your boy texiera yesterday? its only 1 game, but im still glad we didnt pay the money to keep him.

Silvs said...

Not to mention that they also have Jack Cust, who brings a big time bat. They are no doubt a very competitive team. Their pitching is supposed to be talented, but it remains to be seen if talent=wins.

I think Kendrick is legit. I don't think he has a 40 HR bat, maybe like 20-25, but the guy is a good contact hitter. I think our pitching is going to have to really carry us. Hopefully they extend Saunders soon.

Although I don't agree with it, I have to admire your stick-to-it-iveness in your disdain for Tex. Yeah, bad debut, but the guy is going to be a .300 average, 30 HRs, and 120 RBI guy. He's been that way his whole career. Hopefully our farm starts producing again.