Friday, March 30, 2012

Running Season

Running season is upon me. Mileage is starting to get heavier. I ran 12 last week, and today was 14. I haven't decided if I'm going to go for three 20+ mile runs, or just two. They say that it's always better to under-train than over-train, but something about getting that third 20 miler makes me feel more comfortable with my training. Not sure yet. Although last time I did get three 20 milers and then I was still not ready for the race at all, and the race I felt the least prepared for, St. George, I had my best time. Who knows. I think I'm leaning less. It's just harder to get myself to do these long runs with a wifey.

I do still love running though. Much more once I finish the long run, and after I have talked myself into actually getting out there. But I just love how it feels to go that far, to look from my house over to the mouth of the Provo Canyon, which is where I always run to on these long ones, and think that I covered that entire distance on my own power in just a couple hours. I just like running that long and knowing that my heart and body must be at least pretty healthy to be able to sustain physical activity for that long. It makes me feel good.

I do think I like having my running calendar pushed up earlier in the year instead of doing my hardest training in the dog days of summer. If I think it's hard to get myself to do those long runs when it's 70 degrees out, it's a million times worse when I'm either having to get up at 6 or 7am to avoid the heat, or just taking it at 80-90 degrees. Those are really, really hard.

Anyway, that's what I have to look forward to for the next 10 weeks, and then it's Utah Valley on June 9th.

Here goes....

No comments: