Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Dance Party?



There is so much going on. Last night I went on a little harbor cruise in Newport as part of a Christmas party. I thought it was really fun. I used to detest that Huntington crowd, or those party people, but there are some really stand up people amongst them who are just great.

Karaoke is so great to watch, but you know what I like more? Watching people dance. I'm guessing that about 20% of all guys will ever really let themselves go when it comes to dancing. And what's really great about watching people dance is that it doesn't really matter if they're good or bad, just as long as they really commit to the beat. I can think of at least 5 people last night who I probably could have watched dance the entire evening. You know what I think also really does it for me? Facial expressions. When that gets incorporated into the dance, it just makes it so much better. Amy's roommate does this move which I think is funny, but it really gets me the way her facial expressions compliment the move. It makes it that much better.

There was a guy there who had some kind of mental or social disability and he was dancing, but a girl was there dancing with him. I couldn't tell if she was just doing it so that he would have a good time, or if she was partly making fun of him, but she was so committed to the music. I kind of think it was the former, because from the first second the music started going she seemed to be sold on dancing. Another guy reminded me so much of Robbie Haglund. His style of dress, his gregariousness, and even his dancing. He had such exaggerated movements and was just screaming for attention. It's funny, but what I liked about him was that he was all about having everyone look at him, and then what I liked about the girl was that it really didn't seem like she had any care whatsoever if other people were around or not. He was driven by the attention, and then she was just driven by the music. She would have been going like that if she were by herself in her bathroom listening to music and just dancing around.

My absolute favorite though was this one dude who at first glance was just another goofy mormon guy - tall, lanky (doesn't lanky just automatically mean they're tall? usually), and came dressed in some kind of frilly shirt like he was from 17th century England. But I saw him dancing and he was just perfect. He was just so fluid in his movements, and when the beats came he hit them so hard. And he seemed to know every song and had some kind of funny motion for every single kind of sound that would come up. It was an incredible combination of jerky at times, but then so fluid at others. It's just so fun to see people let loose, especially dancing. It's like there is just no restraint and a total expression of inner feelings in outward movements.

Video notes - the guy who does the robot in the Footloose clip is amazing. The guy in the So You Think You Can Dance clip is...amazing crazy crying crazy.

No comments: