Tuesday, September 16, 2008

What Makes You A Fan

I got this tender comment yesterday on my sports post:

I love how you pretend to be a BYU football fan now that you're back in Provo. Faker. At least you know who won.
I was a little irked by this comment. I don't think I ever pretended to be some big time BYU football fan, but I also know that it's not like I wasn't ever interested in it, or worse, that I ever rooted against the team.

What is the criteria anyway for being a fan? Do I have to be some kind of obsessive freak who thinks that if I read my scriptures the sports programs will actually do better because it's a church school? Even if I had never ever even followed a BYU football game in my entire life, does this person somehow own a monopoly over fandom and BYU football? Am I not allowed to even begin rooting for the team because I don't own season tickets, or I won't travel long distances to go and see them play?

In any case, I have always been a fan of the team, but admittedly my dedication was never as fanatical as that of some of the other people who have attended this institution. Still, here are some points for the aforementioned skeptic of my fanhood that should go in my favor.


  1. I have lived in Provo for at least 38 months.
  2. I graduated from BYU and even have an alumni placard.
  3. I have attended at least several games in my lifetime, with one of those being at an opponents stadium.
  4. My trainer from the mission is a coach for the football team.
  5. I watch their games whenever they are televised.
  6. I read articles about the football program, even when I was no longer a student at the university.
  7. I was able to recognize and shake hands of former BYU great Todd Christensen at the Smithfield Field House one Saturday morning, also member of the 1980 world champion Oakland Raiders.
  8. I follow former BYU players in the NFL. I know where Brandon Doman, Todd Watkins, Chad Lewis, Doug Jolley, John Beck, Reno Mahe all play(ed) in the NFL, and in most of those cases, when they were drafted by those teams. Do you even know who all of those guys are?
  9. I considered doing my thesis work using coach Bronco Mendenhall as a case study illustrating transformational leadership within an organization.
  10. I have attended at least 4 firesides of the BYU head football coaches LaVell Edwards and Bronco Mendenhall.
  11. I am getting two more degrees from the university.
  12. I have donated to the BYU Annual Fund every year since my senior year as an undergraduate student.
  13. I pay tithing.
  14. I know the BYU fight song.
  15. I have hiked the Y....I'm reaching now.

You get the point. I think I'm entitled just as much as anybody else to enjoy the program and follow the team. And here's the thing...even if I didn't do any of those things, who are you to say that I'm a faker? Am I just supposed to not follow the team because I don't somehow fit your narrow definition of what it means to be a fan?

A couple of years ago I was watching a documentary on Metallica and their rise to fame. Just like most bands, they started out as some young garage band with big aspirations fighting against big odds. They had developed a local following and then when suddenly (originally, I included the phrase "all of the sudden," but then decided against it because I recently saw the Family Guy episode when Stewie was chastising people for using that phrase, as well as 'irregardless' and 'a whole 'nother') they finally started to make it big with Hit the Lights, people actually started to get upset with them. I loved Lars Ulrich's response, that went something like, "what? are we just always supposed to be some little garage band that only you love and that you keep in your pocket? don't we deserve any of the benefit of playing our music that we created?"

I guess what I picked up from watching that interview was that as a fan it's pretty lame for any of us to get upset at other people who may have not been as crazed about a particular band or team because they are finally starting to appreciate what we always have. I can understand when the person is only a casual observer and then pretends that they were with the team through thick and thin, or they jump on and off repeatedly from the bandwagon. But in my case, I don't think I qualify for either of those.

I have always been interested in the football team, but in my defense I have other teams that I follow much more closely. I only have so much sports attention to go around. And the problem of questioning my integrity as a fan is that I tend to dig deeper than most people when it comes to things that I'm interested in, so I probably know more and appreciate more about BYU football than a lot of the "true fans" do.

So suck on that. But maybe this wouldn't have come up if I didn't question your husband's masculinity.

(The song doesn't actually come on until about 5 mintues in.)



11 comments:

Unknown said...

You think you're so clever, don't you?

This only comes from me asking you on numerous occasions if you watched them play various times, to which your reply was always a nonchalant, "nah, who cares if i watch it or not."

It sounds like you're on the defensive...maybe it's YOU questioning your own masculinity??

Silvs said...

Why do people say "you're being defensive" like it's some sort of 'a-ha, I got you!' when they're clearly in attack mode?

In any case, the point of the post was even if I had absolutely no interest before this season, why can't I start to like them now? Do the Cougars just belong to you and your husband? Would you guys be so kind as to allow me to lease a parcel of fandom so that I can enjoy the football team of the school where I donate my money to and get all my advanced degrees from? Would you guys be so kind as to let me also enjoy a good college football program? Please? It's not like I have any friends up here, so why don't you go ahead and take this away from me too? But it would be so nice if you let me take part since obviously only you guys can be fans of the team.

And, are you really trying to get me to fret about my own masculinity? It is well-documented on here that I'm clearly both very masculine and very feminine. I'm very secure with respect to these things. I'm untouchable in this respect, babe.

Laura said...

chris, i think you made a very compelling argument for yourself. except the whole hiked the Y thing - that is just dorky.

i am with you about people who want it to be their thing. super lame and annoying. like my brother in law is very like this and didn't want my sister to give Matt Flight of the Concords DVD for his b-day b/c he didn't want it to be too mainstream. (which I broke it to him we already knew about it) I don't get this logic.

and it bugs when girls claim to be hard core fans of sports teams just because their husbands are.

Dave said...

TOLD.

Unknown said...

Ok, everybody, let's retract our claws.

Number 1, I don't really care if you like them or not. In fact, I'm glad you do. I was just kidding...Chris...has it been that long that you can't tell anymore??

Number 2, I was going to BYU games long before I even knew my husband existed, and if anything, I'm less of a fan now than I was before, despite how "hard core" he is.

Number 3, keep dedicating posts to comments people leave on your blog and nobody's gonna want to leave comments anymore.

Everyone unbunch your panties!!

Silvs said...

I was just kidding. Has it been that long that you can't tell anymore?

It sounds like you're on the defensive...

gregory said...

ZONG! I was gonna make the defensive comment but then you did! awesome. my favorite part is how you called it the 'Smithfield Field House' - HAHAHAA! Smithfield Field House housefield Field hope change change hope chope field house....

Caitlin said...

Bla-DOW!

Dave said...

Rise and Shout the Cougars are out.... blah blah blah blah blah...because of you! (arms out) Our Faith is strong! (hugging arms)... somethin' somethin'... some..thin else... the Cougars of B Y U. Rah! Rah! Rah Rah Rah! Rah! Rah! Rah Rah Rah! Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Cougars!

Raaaaawww Rowwwwwww! (Cougar Noise)

Laura said...

i was just zinging you for zinging chris. ZING!

all in good fun.

go cougs!!! dave - don't pretend you don't know the fight song, you know you do.

chris, will you do a post on one of my comments sometime? please, please, please??

Dave said...

ZING!