Monday, September 15, 2008

Yahoo Sports!

This was a pretty great weekend for my sports teams.
  • BYU kicked it off with that 59-0 thrashing of UCLA. The part that really highlighted the whole game was the three consecutive possessions/turnovers by UCLA that each resulted in touchdowns for BYU. The most damaging of all of those might have been on the immediate 38 yard strike following the fumble that put BYU up 21-0. From that point BYU took control of the wheel and never let go. In fact, they drove right over UCLA, then backed up over them, then drove over them again. Several times. I guess the next big test will be TCU and then Utah. I'm sort of confused as to what to do with such a successful program now. The best I had it as an undergraduate was in 2001 with Luke Staley and Brandon Doman, but they didn't even end up winning their bowl game that year. This is pretty exciting.
  • The Raiders - I got confused when I first saw the score for this one. What does it mean when the Raiders have more points than the opposing team? It so rarely occurs that I don't really know what to do with myself. In spite of Kiffin probably getting fired before the end of the season they turned in a killer performance. Darren McFadden had his coming out party and rushed for 164 yards and a touchdown. Even Michael Bush got in on the action, accounting for all of the rushing yardage on the game-clinching drive. It was freakin' awesome. I doubt there are going to be many more of these kinds of victories, but luckily we get th Chiefs again, and next time at home.
  • Angels Angels Angels - They had an awesome week. Not only did they clinch the division the earliest ever in the AL West, but Francisco Rodriguez captured the saves record for a season with his 58 save. I guess we have a new kid in the bullpen with electric stuff and he'll probably make the playoff roster. He even got the record at home. If I were there I would have made sure I was at that game. Did you chumps even think of doing that? And what's more, they swept a four game series from Seattle, and took two out of three from the reeling Yankees.
Life is pretty dang good these days. And yesterday in the NFL was crazy. The Colts-Vikings, Chargers-Broncos, and Carolina-Bears games were all televised here, and I stopped watching ALL OF THEM when I saw that the Colts were down 15-0, Broncos were up 21-0, and Panthers down 17-3. And they all came back. This is why it's imperative that you don't ever stop watching a game. You need to tough out all 60 minutes, 9 innings, or whatever. You never know what can happen.

Who's ready for TV next week? Did you guys sign up to be eligible to buy postseason tickets? I sure as hell did.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love how you pretend to be a BYU football fan now that you're back in Provo. Faker.

At least you know who won.

gregory said...

Hells yeah I was at Frankie's 58th close-out party! That was a great game - so much excitement when he came out, everyone screaming and cheering and standing for the whole inning. Plus it was The Todd's B-day party and we had a Suite w/ free hot-dogs - I pounded one for every Angel's run - that's 5 big dogs broseph! Mmmmmm... be jealous!