Thursday, March 27, 2008

Pirate Radio

I feel like this radio station needs to undergo some new formatting. Maybe instead of easy listening, let's go to some more rock and or roll. I don't know what it is lately, but I am just feeling a lot of apathy towards all things political. I'm not even listening as intently to my radio hosts nearly as often as I had been in the last couple of months, and I'm not reading as much either. Part of this is from my most recent attempt to be a little more focused at work, which I'm sure will last about another week or so. It is hard to be so invested, all of the time. And it doesn't help that my 3-4 loyal readers seem to care nothing about the political stuff I put up. Except for maybe Greg because he mentions it to me in conversation every so often. This video sums up how I'm feeling about all the politics these days, and maybe much of what a lot of you feel most of the time:



While I'm posting stuff from The Onion, maybe check out this article. If you've ever seen Save the Last Dance, or Step Up, then you should appreciate that reading.

Back to the new formatting topic...that's also why I wanted some new colors on the blog. I didn't really like anything I combined, and this color combo is no different, but I just think it needs to be something different. There is just something that is not working for me with the blog lately. It's been the last week or two. It's part of why I didn't post last week. So I'm considering doing a couple of things:

  • Sports post once a week
  • Politics post once a week that can sum up some of the things that have stuck out to me
  • Something church related for Sundays when I'm doing my pontificating
  • Something creative. I've been really wanting to do this for awhile now, and I've actually got several starts to stories in my head and I feel like they're all pretty interesting. I think I mentioned this previously, but something in me has been wanting to explore the creative side and since my only really artistic element seems to come from words and not anything else, I think I'll try it out.

I'll try all this for the next month or so and see how it goes. Oh...I have a great work story to tell, but I'll save that for later. It's really good. I probably should be more embarrassed about it, but I think it's worth the few laughs I'll get out of it. I'll leave ya'll with a poem that my friend Chris turned me onto just after I got back from the mission. It feels springy to me. Not like an actual spring springy, but like the season, dummy.

I leant upon a coppice gate
When Frost was spectre-gray,
And Winter's dregs made desolate
The weakening eye of day.
The tangled bine-stems scored the sky
Like strings of broken lyres,
And all mankind that haunted nigh
Had sought their household fires.

The land's sharp features seemed to be
The Century's corpse outleant,
His crypt the cloudy canopy,
The wind his death-lament.
The ancient pulse of germ and birth
Was shrunken hard and dry,
And every spirit upon earth
Seemed fervourless as I.

At once a voice arose among
The bleak twigs overhead
In a full-hearted evensong
Of joy illimited;
An aged thrush, frail, gaunt, and small,
In blast-beruffled plume,
Had chosen thus to fling his soul
Upon the growing gloom.

So little cause for carolings
Of such ecstatic sound
Was written on terrestrial things
Afar or nigh around,
That I could think there trembled through
His happy good-night air
Some blessed Hope, whereof he knew
And I was unaware.

1 comment:

gregory said...

cheers to the political crap-fest! haha, ha ha! oh man, the best part about that video is the ending "ABC cancels 'Who Wants to Save Africa' show after 2 episodes" - what a bunch of jerks! tee hee hee. good balance w/ poem. feels nice, thanks silvies