Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentime's Day!

I don't think it's really any secret that I love Valentine's day. It's so much fun to be in like/love, to be excited about stupid little things.

One of my favorite things about the holiday is going to a flower store and seeing hordes of guys coming in having no idea what they want, and knowing only a favorite color or the amount of money that they want to spend. Some of them are a little more attentive, knowing favorite flowers, but most just know the bottom line of what they want to spend and go for whatever fits in that range.

My routine in those places is the same - go and sit for about 20-30 minutes just looking at all of the arrangements trying to find something that fits what I have in my mind, my budget, and what I think the girl will like. I'll pour over the prearranged flowers for awhile, and then walk over to the loose ones and see if there is some kind of arrangement I can come up with on my own. I think I do a surprisingly good job with that, although I'm always nervous about it when I come out with them in the end.

...Umm...excuse me, do you have something that says I have really enjoyed getting to know you recently, that I think I'm starting to fall in like with you, that I'm thoughtful and worth getting to know some more, but that I don't want to go overboard because I'm not sure where you're at with everything? Do you think daisies communicates that best or tulips? Is white too springy or purple too passionate? Hmmm...thanks...

You know who has pretty amazing deals on flowers and has a wide variety of flowers that haven't been picked over? Supermarkets. Prices are usually much better, and the variety is wide because few people really think about using them to get flowers. A dozen short-stemmed roses at a local florist cost $42, but at Smith's they were $20. Same quality of flowers too.

I think since I've been home from the mission, there has only been one Valentine's day since 2002 when I didn't do at least one some thing for someone. Not all of those years were because I was dating the person or had a hard crush. A couple were just because I wanted to do some thing for someone, even if we were just friends. I've done cards, a couple missionary packages, that kind of thing. I think 2008 was the only year where I did nothing at all. Becca got 2003-2007.

A friend of mine was asking the other day who I regretted dating the most, and the truth is, I don't regret dating any of them, especially the ones I dated the longest even if those ones were the hardest. I came across an old journal from one of those breakups and I couldn't believe how pathetic I sounded during that time. I was just destroyed. So heartbroken, but in spite of however hard those times were, I can't tell you the amount of love I felt, and emphasize enough the valuable lessons I was able to learn from all of them. When I think back about them now, I have nothing but warm feelings and happy memories. Even the ones that were the most complicated and difficult, they've all somehow turned into positives and I think that's something I'm really proud of. If nothing else, the wrong things about relationships past help me to see the right things I want from relationships present and future. It sounds cliche, but I think it's true.

If I sound optimistic, it's because I am, and I don't think it has anything to do with my going through a dating life untouched, without any kind of traumatizing experiences. Trust me, I think I have taken my fair share of stomach punches in that department. I not only look forward to the blossoming of love and bliss in my own dating life, but I'm content and happy with things as they stand now, and that in itself makes me feel even more at ease.


The best part is when I'll be doing my own song and dance about the next one.

Anyway, I hope that on this Valentine's day you're doing as much giving as you are receiving. It's fun to have someone think about you, but I think it's also just as fun to be doing something for someone else, letting them know that you care about them. People love to be loved, and it's important to do our parts in helping them feel those things.

A friend of mine saw this commercial on a blog of a friend of hers, and I just love it. Can't say it enough.


Have a happy Valentine's day everyone.

No comments: