Friday, February 19, 2010

Just Do It

I'm pretty sure that I could spend all day watching Nike commercials. I think if there were Nike commercials on a loop in the areas that I traffic, I'm pretty sure that I would be the most motivated person on the planet. Am I the only person who feels that way? I love the themes that they always draw on - determination, perseverance, stick-to-itiveness.



I need to incorporate some new elements in my workout routines. Lately it's been nice to go running on the treadmill watching the Olympics. I've been watching pretty much anything that's on that I thought I didn't like - curling, cross country skiing, figure skating - but it turns out that I love all of it. It still kind of weirds me out how dainty figure skating is. I don't know if I'll ever get over that, but I was still interested enough to see Evan win the gold last night for the USA.

Anyway, it's been too easy for me to keep up running and lifting weights. I have no problem doing some kind of workout 5-6 days a week, but I need some variation. If I had money I would LOVE to do some MMA training, not so much to actually fight, but I think it would be so much fun and I know it would be a killer workout. Recently I've been wishing that there were somewhere I could put up a rope and do rope climbing. I don't know that I have the right kind of muscle-to-weight ratio that would work for that though, but it'd still be fun to try.

Right now I'm playing with a terrible intramural soccer team that I just jumped on so I could play. I'm getting out for racquetball, but not enough. At least bowling is still going. Incidentally I averaged 160 this last week. I'm almost a scratch a bowler. Is there such a thing? Yup. And I'm almost there. And then there's running and weights.

I think my biggest limitation right now is money, money to pay to go to a Yoga studio or do some kind of martial arts, or money even just to invest in new equipment. I need to start swimming. That's probably my next cheapest-best option for getting a good new workout, but I'm not sure why it's been hard to get out and try it. I think it has a lot to do with just getting over to the pool. I just hate that it's not as close as I'd like it to be. Running has spoiled me in that way where I can either just go out the door and start moving, or down the street to the clubhouse and use the facility there.

Anyway, here is the new Nike commercial that inspired this post.

No comments: