Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Dan In Real Life

So I'm up in Northern California until Friday doing some training for work. I have had one real conversation with another person in the last 8 hours and it's pretty weird to live such a solitary lifestyle, let me tell you. I'm in a pretty convenient location though. There is a mall right across the street, and the movie took a little searching, but it's not too far away.

It was nice. I don't think it was great. I don't know why so many people hate Dane Cook. I still think a lot of his standup stuff is funny, but his character was pretty cheesy in the movie. The movie itself tells a nice story. I don't know a better way to put it. It will make you laugh, cringe, and really feel at different points throughout the movie. Does it do any of those exceptionally well? I don't really think so, but it's worth watching. It's a little romanticized for him to go so overboard for someone he met briefly at a bookstore. And then a person with his supposed level of morality wouldn't even consider pursuing what he does. But I do like Steve Carrell a lot and he can be funny, endearing, and real all at once. That's all I have to say about that.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

I really loved this movie. It made me really feel the emotions -- it's been a long time since a movie has done that. Literally I was laughing out loud at one minute, and the next about to sob uncontrollably. Maybe I'm just a girl, but I really liked it.

Silvs said...

Like I was telling Dave last night, it's not that I didn't like the movie. And I agree, it did make me feel a lot of things too, but I think the actors outshined the script that they were given. I just felt like there were a lot of inconsistencies with the characters themselves, doing things that belied who they were supposed to really be. So that's why I say it's good, but not great.