Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Lars And The Real Girl



I saw this last night. This is a really sweet, sweet movie. It is so great how the whole town seems to rally around this guy. I love the portrayal of all the people and just how overwhelmingly kind and selfless they are in how they treat Lars, and the doll. It really is touching. At first I wanted a little bit more development with why Lars started having his difficulties, but I think it was vague on that front on purpose. And besides, that's not the story that it's trying to tell. I think a lot of times when we watch movies we get caught up in what it is that we think the story should be doing when it's really not our ideas that are being conveyed - it's the director, or the writer, or the combination of all the people that are involved in the production. The intended ambiguity on those different issues allows the audience to draw their own conclusion. I think we get caught up in the trap of wanting everything laid out when sometimes it's really just good to leave those things up to the interpretation of the individual. It is definitely worth seeing. I thought the sister-in-law stole the show.

No comments: