Friday, November 16, 2007

The Guy On Ask A Mormon

I thought this was kind of interesting...Would you like to meet the guy from "Ask A Mormon" that was on KROQ this morning? After looking at my site stuff this morning I began wondering how people were getting led to my blog and that's where I found this. I found that he's part of a forum for ex-members. Here is his profile. This is where he talks about getting the call to do the radio show. Maybe he'll do us a favor and make an appearance. It's very possible that the anonymous comment on the other post is him. For an ex-mormon forum, I would've thought there would been more. I don't know of what, just more. But I didn't do an extensive search.

Now knowing his background, I'm surprised he didn't say anything worse. I don't know if that's good or bad, but whatever.

This is an important note - I didn't link to the ex-mormon site or to his profile so that people could follow the link and leave angry comments or posts or whatever. It's purely informational. I wonder what the catalyst was in his deciding to leave the church. I'll close with a quaint little saying that I think applies to a lot of former members - if you leave the church, why don't you leave it alone?

I would think that for a lot of those people they don't want to be contacted by current members trying to convince them to try and come back to the church, so why would they try and force their own anti-church views on anybody else? Again, this guy wasn't that bad. I'm just speaking generally. It just strikes me as a little strange.

7 comments:

Liz the Poet said...

Hey, thanks for the heads up!

I had no idea anyone would remotely care what I thought about this. ;-)

gregory said...

HAHAHA! He said 'CelestRial, Terrestrial, and TelestRial' - hehehe. Drop the extra R's bud. He also said 'It's religion - of course there's magic involved'. Ha this guy is a crack-up! I love when people have ALL the facts straight. He also states that his 'Mormonism memory is fading', which would lead me to believe that a lot of his mormonism memory is fading and thus his facts being hazy, knowledge within the church being immature, and his current comrades being ex-mormons that speak out against the church all point to the fact that he's gone astray. He did a decent job though in not being too stinging or 'axe-grinding'. I agree silva, if you leave it, just leave it alone. Members may make mistakes, but The Church is true!

Valerie said...

It is pretty common for ex-members to linger around making anti-church comments. Why do they care? So it wasn't for you, move on! The idea of putting together a forum for that seems unnecessary, put your time to better use.

Laura said...

how did you find that guy? At first I had my radio on wanting to hear it...but then I turned it off because I was like...what's the point, it most likely will just cause me to be annoyed all day. and seriously, get on with your life if that is what you want.

Anonymous said...

I think many ex-Mormons wonder why the church won't leave them alone as well. If you spend any time reading an ex-Mormon forum you will quickly find that leaving the church is an incredibly difficult thing as family, friends, and people who never before seemed to have any interest in them, pull out all the love-bombing, guilt and earnest pleas and beg them to stay in the church.

I think Matt did a good job and he didn't say anything that was out right a lie. You can hear the whole interview at my blog:
http://ldstalk.wordpress.com/2007/11/17/ask-a-mormon-on-1067-kroq/

Silvs said...

Like I said before, he didn't go overboard in either direction. It was alright, considering that he's a former member of the church. And you're right, none of it was an outright lie, but it all had a very distinct spin.

Obviously people who are opposed to the church would argue that the slant a current member of the church would do would be the same thing, but in the other direction. In any case, I just don't think a spokesperson for a particular religion should ever be someone who is a dissident of that religion, as he is. That just doesn't sit right with me. If you want to get an idea of what the Democratic party is all about, you wouldn't ever expect a Republican to give an honest opinion about it, would you? I think the same thing applies here.

gregory said...

I agree, and I agree. He wasn't all that bad, but he wasn't all that good (in my perspective), but he did give a distinctive spin as you say. Not to take from the political analogy, but more to improve the ex-cop analogy used by kevin & bean, I think it is best described by imagining yourself as being investigated. Now would you want your slightly bitter ex-wife or your loving children to testify about you? The ex-wife, though probably quite knowledgeable, will definitely put a slight spin on comments to end up making you look like a jackass.

Do both: Ask an Ex-Mormon, and Ask a Mormon. Then move on with your life.

If you leave it, be committed. Take your name off and be adamant and up front with your family and their love-bombs. Work it out with them, and don't focus your energy-expenditure on some ex-mormon forum that your family probably doesn't even read or comment on.