Sunday, November 4, 2007

Speaking Of Transformations...

Some thoughts from this weekeend:

  • I have a really good time dancing, but I think it's funny how it kind of takes a second to warmup and really get into it. You know what I mean? It's almost like it takes at least a few minutes for you to get out of that self-conscious phase where you feel like people are watching you to not really caring. I've decided that this is why dancing is so common with bars, or that drinking is such a part of the club scene. It really does require you to be in a particular state of mind to wiggle your body to songs with pulsating rhythms and not feel like other people are watching you because even at a club or bar with dancing, about half the people are still standing around, which leads me to my next thought...
  • Mormons are so goofy. When you go to a church dance, this is why so much of the dancing is just plain old dorky, because we dance without inhibition a lot of time and because there is no chemical influence there with us, there has to be a couple of things unique to the person that allows him/her to get out on the dance floor and not feel dumb: the person has to just flat out not care, or be a good dancer. It's actually pretty rare that people really know what they're doing when it comes to dancing so mostly it comes down to them not caring.
  • With all of the warmup stuff in mind, I love that oftentimes it just takes a particular song to jumpstart a person and get that person in the mood to get jiggy with it. Back in high school, that song for me was usually Mo' Money Mo' Problems, or pretty much anything with Diddy. Nowadays for me it's Timbaland's The Way I Are, or JT's My Love. Those songs get me going in a second. I was with Aaron last night and he totally wasn't into it at all for the first 20-30 minutes, but then all of the sudden the right song came on and it was literally like a different person came out. That made me laugh because his entire countenance changed. His facial expression was different, lips were more puckered and he was hitting those beats a lot harder. Sounds kind of weird and gay when I put in details like that, but it's true.
  • Certain things come out with people on the dance floor that you would just not ever expect to see. I was with some people recently and there were sides to them that I just wouldn't have ever guessed in a million, ba-gillion, ga-zillion years that they'd ever do on the dance floor, and I love these people to death, but I just would have never seen it coming. Like I was saying with the Halloween stuff in the last post, there are just certain settings that bring different elements of personality out in people that you would never guess or know about. It's so funny to me. I'll thank you ahead of time to not say anything incriminating in the comments section.
  • I helped a couple of people move this weekend. There are two things that are cool about that. I have been praying a lot recently to be able to recognize service opportunities as they come up, and then also to have those opportunities come my way and react quickly and without hesitation. Then all of the sudden I have a free weekend and these things came up at really what couldn't have been a more perfect time for me. The other thing I'm grateful about is that I'm glad that someone who is in a pinch can think of me as a person that they can count on as being one who would respond willingly. We had a really great lesson today in Elders Quorum basically on D&C 58:26-28 and the crux of the lesson was basically being anxiously engaged and looking for those opportunities to serve. I know I haven't always been the most willing in the past, so it's good to get practice at that stuff. And on top of all that, it's nice to know that God would be so mindful of me in my prayers.

1 comment:

Dave said...

You really should just buy a tape recorder and carry it around for a day.