Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgivings

There are so many things for which to be thankful. I'm thankful that the Angels landed a huge free agent fish in Tori Hunter. This is a huge free agenet acquisition, and frankly, a really surprising one. They have Gary Matthews Jr. set in center, but I guess they are going to split Anderson and Guerrero in the DH spot, which is probably a good idea considering all the bumps and bruises they have been getting the last couple of years.

I am thankful that Thanksgiving is a holiday for just that - giving thanks - and not a national day of mourning as some people in Seattle might want it to be. I am grateful for a President who is so unapologetic in his faith and is guided by his conscience, and not what is popular (this is a little bit of a departure from the theme of this post, but a riveting article on the latest discovery with stem cell research and how Bush's policy of encouraging ethical scientific advancement is really paying off). Here is an excerpt from his Thanksgiving proclamation:
Our country was founded by men and women who realized their dependence on God and were humbled by His providence and grace. The early explorers and settlers who arrived in this land gave thanks for God's protection and for the extraordinary natural abundance they found.
Since the first National Day of Thanksgiving was proclaimed by President George Washington, Americans have come together to offer thanks for our many blessings. We recall the great privilege it is to live in a land where freedom is the right of every person and where all can pursue their dreams. We express our deep appreciation for the sacrifices of the honorable men and women in uniform who defend liberty. As they work to advance the cause of freedom, our Nation keeps these brave individuals and their families in our thoughts, and we pray for their safe return.

While Thanksgiving is a time to gather in a spirit of gratitude with family, friends, and neighbors, it is also an opportunity to serve others and to share our blessings with those in need. By answering the universal call to love a neighbor as we want to be loved ourselves, we make our Nation a more hopeful and caring place.

This Thanksgiving, may we reflect upon the past year with gratefulness and look toward the future with hope. Let us give thanks for all we have been given and ask God to continue to bless our families and our Nation.
I am grateful that I live in a Republican stronghold in Orange County and am not privy to the myriad of grossly offensive bumper stickers that grace our nation's liberal automobiles. Bumper stickers with such catch phrases as, "So Many Right-wing Christians, So Few Lions," or the equally tasteless, "Jesus loves me, but I make him wear a condom." It hurts me to even put those words in print, but that is the kind of vile propaganda that is spewed regularly from people on the left. I don't care that my view on this is totally partial, but the kind of comments that liberals make about conservatives is so malicious. It does not even come close to what goes in the other direction from conservatives to liberals. Those kinds of things are just so completely offensive and I would never even dream of saying something so virulent about anybody, even if I completely disagree with said person on the most fundamental and personal of issues.



I am grateful for a safe and free country in which to live. I'm grateful for those people who fight to protect our way of life. Would you like to show some support? Visit the website Military Community Relations. It can even be as simple as just sending a text message to those people who are overseas. Visit the website for more details. Another great one is Soldier's Angels. At this particular site you can "adopt" a soldier and you commit to sending a letter or card each week, and then a package or two a month for the duration of a soldier's tour of duty, which can be anywhere from 6 months to a year. If that seems like a lot, team up with another person or family and show your appreciation that way. Or you can always send donations. Not interested in helping the soldiers? For something of a different ilk, how about just helping to make someone's holidays a little bit brighter? This is one website where you can adopt a family, sponsor a stocking, or volunteer your time. If we aren't doing something already, let's make this holiday season the time we can point back to when we're old and say that this is where I began my lifetime of helping others.



Above all, I'm grateful for my family and friends. I'm grateful for the gospel. I'm grateful for the life I lead. I hope we all have the happiest of Thanksgivings.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

Ditto to all of it! I would also like to add how grateful I am that you post so regularly!!

gregory said...

i once had a bumper sticker that read 'I love animals - they're delicious'. Not only is it funny, but it doesn't offend humans, it only hurts the feelings of tasty critters. Right-wing stickers rock. That 'prophecy' of sorts by Washington rings ominously true today - wow, could it be that he and the other founders actually were inspired by God? I believe yes! And it is sad that the FF's divine inspiration offends the faithless throng. God, please bless America.

gregory said...

I meant to type: 'though they know not what they do.'