Sunday, November 4, 2007

Halloween

I know that I've been slow these days with getting these things up, but here are some pics from Halloween. I loved this costume for many reasons. I think accessories really do make the costume. You can have a good basic idea, but then if you are lacking in those little pieces here and there, then you really fail to sell on the whole thing. Halloween is really about making that whole transformation to where you actually become something completely different than you normally are. I loved that when I went to the church dance, most people didn't have any idea who I was until I actually talked with them. My favorite response from somebody was, "who is that gay asian dude?" Yeah, you're right, gay asian PUNK RAWK dude. Am I right? I also loved that I got to apply makeup and it wasn't really weird for me to do so. What was weird was that without any real practice, I was able to so competently apply my own eyeliner and nail polish. What I wasn't as good at was removing the eyeliner before work the next day when I had interviews to do. How many guys out there realize that there are products not only to put that stuff all on your face, but then take it off as well? Give a lot of credit to the ladies. I would never want to put that crap on everyday like they do. But I sure don't mind doing it once a year. Next year I want to do something more involved with makeup. We'll see. I've kind of been wanting to do that every year. I guess replace "kind of" with "always" and that is probably more accurate.
I think it's always so interesting what different sides of people come out in different settings. I was reflecting the other day about whether or not I've always been so into Halloween and I really don't think this was always the case. I don't even remember dressing up at all freshman year at college. Didn't do it all throughout high school. And then I remembered why...which a lot of you already know, but will have to be another post for another day. I think I had a Halloween rebirth the second year back from the mission, when Dave and I decided to go as vatos. That gave us authority to be in character the whole evening, using our finely honed mexican accents, and also swear a little bit. It was so much fun. Not the bad swear words, but some. That stuff can be really hilarious when you're not accustomed to it. I should post the pictures from those other years, but that would require some digging. That was before the digital camera days, at least for me.
This was a fun Halloween. Probably not as many scary movies as I would have liked, but still very fun nonetheless. And if you'll notice I went with a really cute pirate. I started the night going with Aaron over to a pre-party dinner that featured Halloween themed food - orange pasta with sauce that was dyed purple and looked completely unappetizing. Sometimes the aesthetics really do matter with that stuff, because in reality it tasted fine, but my mind told me that it was 'okay' at best. Then it was off to a pretty tame party, but there were a lot of decent people there. Nothing too scandalous so that was nice. I've already been thinking of some costume ideas for next year. This has been my modus operandi (or operandus?) the past couple of years. Anyway, I hope everyone had a really enjoyable Halloween, and now we still got some very good stuff ahead of us - Thanksgiving and Christmas.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Man... you are such a fruitcake.

Who is that gay asian dude? hahaha... that's Silva. He's my favorite gay friend.

That was really fun how we went shopping for jeans together and got ice cream to talk about stuff on Friday. I just feel like I can talk to you for forever. We'll totally have to do another guy's night out! Remember "Bumbledorb!" hahaha! Luv ya! Kisses!

Laura said...

I am not surprised one bit about the make-up thing.

And Dave, I think you meant to say he is your favorite gay lover.

I actually have pics of you guys dressed as vatos handy. Let me know if you want me to scan them and send to you.

Jim and Allison said...

Wow Chris, I didn't even recognize you!-Great costume.Holidays are fun!Looks like you had a great time and sounds like you are doing well-I'm happy for you.Fun blog page too!I just got ours up and running recently.I Miss seein' ya as much as we used to at the family gatherings.Take care bro!