Thursday, January 17, 2008

Happy BirthYesterday Mikey!




I should have been more on top of this, but yesterday was Mike's 22nd. Happy Birthday little song. I didn't realize that about 10 years ago these guys wrote this song in honor of your day yesterday...I miss Millencolin...

Greg's (father Reid) latest thing at birthdays is to go around and have people tell funny stories about the person on his day of birth celebration. I was thinking last night after soccer about what I should have shared as some people told their stories. The one I thought of was years ago and the first time I realized that Mike would probably be as funny as his older brothers...


So Dave and I were going through our tennis phase when we were 14 or 15. Mike was about 8 at that time and going through the I-want-to-hang-out-with-my-older-brother-and-his-friends phase. It was a summer day and we wanted to play tennis, but loathed the thought of shagging the balls ourselves because it was just so hot. So we naturally thought, let's take advantage of little brother Mike and we can have him and Amanda shag the balls like the pros do and it will be great. Fun for us, and then little Mike Reid will be serving a purpose while getting to hang with us so everybody wins, right? We go out to play and sure enough Mike gets tired of shagging our balls. Frustrated with him, I yelled, "Mike! what's that ball doing on the court?" And he curtly responded, "I don't know! the backstroke?" He totally caught me, and Dave, by surprise and we just died laughing. It may not sound that funny to you now, but the joke actually came from some dumb book where a customer asked a waiter at a restaurant what a fly was doing in his soup. The backstroke he says, loved it...Happy Birthday little brother!

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

ha ha ha. I remember that book.


And the joke about a cat named Sandy claws. ha ha ha.

Unknown said...

Classic joke. What a funny 8 year old.

Another joke along the same lines:

Diner:"Waiter, why is your thumb on my steak?"

Waiter:"You don't want me to drop it on the floor again, do you?"

Laura said...

that is funny. on my birthday i also make people go around and share their favorite story about me. ha ha ha.

Dave said...

All hail Mike Reid

Anonymous said...

so, i just found this post today. thanks everyone! late, i know. i totally dont remember that day on the tennis court, or saying those words. ees good punch line, no?