Monday, January 28, 2008

Rest In Peace President Hinckley

I think getting the text hearing about President Hinckley's passing is one of those moments that I will remember for the rest of my life. How about you? I think for a lot of people my age, he was our prophet. Something kind of neat about last night was during one of my home teaching visits, we just sat and talked about our favorite President Hinckley moments. A couple of the other guys had some pretty cool experiences, one of them being present in the celestial room at the dedication of the San Diego Temple. I didn't have anything like that, but my favorite moment came while serving as a missionary in the suburb of Quilicura in Santiago, Chile.

At the April conference of 2000 I was watching the sessions in a room at a stake center with other missionaries and we were lucky enough to get the broadcast in English. President Hinckley gave an address entitled My Testimony that, to this day, is one of my favorite all-time talks by anyone ever. He basically just talks about the development of his own personal testimony. My favorite part in the talk is when he gets to the crescendo of his talk when he says, "He is my God and my King." His voice then cracks in that President Hinckley kind of way and at that time, I was just so very touched by that expression. Following the talk the congregation joined in the Hosanna shout for the dedication of the new conference center, and then the MoTab choir sang the Spirit of God and the congregation joined in the last verse. I'll never forget just feeling so overwhelmed by the spirit and just so grateful to be a part of that moment in time.
Rest in peace President Hinckley. We love and revere you for your service and the inspiration you gave to us all.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I agree with him being "our" prophet. That is actually the comment I made to Matt last night. And the memory I thought of was Freshman year, devotional. Pres Hinckley was coming to speak and i was REALLY sick. I dragged myself out of bed and went to wait in the marriott center for several hours before devotional was starting to get good seats. i can remember the overwhelming spirit in the room when he came in and i forgot about being sick. being in the same room with him there was no doubt he was a prophet of the Lord.

Dave said...

Hail to the prophet.

We love you President Hinckley. Thanks for giving your life to the service of the Lord.