Monday, January 7, 2008

Juno



I thought that I would enjoy this more than I did, although I do think that I still enjoyed it. The dialogue is very clever and all of the performances are really good. All around. One particular character left me feeling so disturbed, though, that it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. Dave is right, Michael Cera is just awesome. I wish he would have had more scenes in the movie, but Ellen Page was really good also. I was surprised at how good Jennifer Garner was too. I thought the song at the end was really cute. The love story that did eventually play out was really very sweet.

Another group of people went to see it the same day we did. You wanna know what happened? Several of them walked out on it. Yeah, they were mormon. My favorite part is that the guy who was there didn't think anything of it, but when I heard about it I was totally annoyed right off the bat. I guess I just think it's just dumb that someone would go to see a movie about teen pregnancy and not realize that it's probably going to be dealing with some touchy issues. Of course I'm also reading into the situation and assuming that the people who walked out also felt they owed it to themselves and to those who stayed to protest the film with their "righteous indignation" at such appalling content. But of course I'm judgmental about people who are judgmental and when it gets to that point, we're all being dumb. At least I realize that I'm probably more annoyed about that situation than I should be.

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

Ha ha. I really enjoyed this movie, although I also was super creeped out by Jason Bateman's character. I never thought I could be that creeped out by my precious Jason Bateman, but it went there.

I totally agree about the dumbies that would willingly see a movie about teen pregnancy, and then walk out because the movie is about teen pregnancy. I do not condone teen pregnancy despite the fact I enjoyed the movie. Genius.