Sunday, July 27, 2008

Reading Rainbow

Do you ever get so consumed by a book that anything else that doesn't involve reading that book seems like a burden to you? Or, have you ever been so entrenched in a book that its story and characters feel like they define particular periods of your life? Not necessarily that what you're actually going through has any real association with what's actually occurring (although that does sometimes help to cement its tie to you), but that its story is so compelling to you that it feels like your own for that period of time. I guess the best way I can relate it is how sometimes there is a particular song or album that you listen to for a certain period of time, and for the rest of your life, whenever you hear that music it will forever be associated with that period when you were a freshman in college, serving a mission, or whatever memory you have that is tied to that music. Do you ever feel that way about books? For me, The Firm will always be about 7th grade and doing a book report on it for Mrs. Frakes' class that we had in the portable and the love of my life, Jennifer Meyerson, was in my class.

I feel like I've been lucky to have a lot of those kinds of tight relationships with most of the books that I've read in the past year. I was just thinking about it because yesterday as I finished The Godfather. Yes, the same one as the movie, and I freakin' loved it. In the past year I've read:
  • Progress Paradox
  • Ultramarathon Man
  • Twilight
  • All seven Harry Potter books
  • On The Road
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes (now every time I hear that phrase, I only hear it in the voice of the lead singer from As Fast As)
  • Count of Monte Cristo
  • and Treason

I guess that's a lot of reading. I feel like I still manage to do a lot of other crap besides reading, but I've felt so completely engrossed in just about every one of those books. Honestly, getting me a good book is the easiest present for me and I will almost always be 100% satisfied with it, but don't get offended if I don't read the book right away. I'll get to it, but I have to be in the mood to read that particular book. In fact, with the Godfather, my brother had given it to me twice (unintentionally) and I started it a couple of times and forgot both times that I stopped at one part that has a very graphic sex scene. This time I finally skipped it, but he first gave me that book probably about 3 years ago.

I was making good progress on a memoir about Ronald Reagan until Dave's dad took it from me. I'm working on trying to read more nonfiction. Until I get that book back, I'm going to be chipping away on Crime and Punishment. I tried reading it once, but couldn't get passed how dark it was. However, several people whose opinions I really respect say it's easily one of the best books that they've ever read so I'm giving it another chance.

Anyway, I'd like for this post to turn into something where you make comments about what your favorite books are because I'd like to know, and I'd like to add those to my list as well. Today in my branch we had a little group get together and shared thoughts about what what impressed each of us as we read 1 Nephi and I had forgotten how much I appreciate talking about the stuff I read. The single greatest learning experience I had in high school involved working on an essay with Dave and Grant Bechtoldt and talking about Heart of Darkness until three in the morning on a school night. Easily my best learning experience in high school.

That practice of sharing and actually communicating those thoughts really is cathartic for me and helps crystallize my thoughts more than anything else, with the exception of writing. I just love it. I think it's so much fun to get excited about books with other people. That's so nerdy, but I just love talking about that stuff. I guess it's the same way when you get excited about new music or a new movie. So yeah, I'd like it if this could turn into a forum and it probably won't, but would be so great if one of you did bother to share. Anyway, you should read The Godfather. It's bad ass (and you know that I only swore to emphasize just how awesome it is, it's that good).

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

I tried reading Crime & Punishment when I was in high school, I think. I have this personal goal of reading all the "classics." Try as I did, I could not get into it. It was very dry and boring for the first several chapters, and I had to move on to greener pastures. I'd love to give it another go sometime, though. You know, now that I'm much more mature :)

I love the Grapes of Wrath, mostly the "interchapters" that don't follow the story, particularly Chapter 25 -- the pinnacle of the book. Steinbeck's writing is so moving and heart- wrenching. I never thought I would be so moved by an experience that is so foreign to me. It's beautiful. You should borrow it just to read that chapter. Beautiful.