Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Suck On This A One Time!

My web-surfing habits revolve around going from my Google Reader feeds (thanks Karen for making me commit to it), a couple other political websites, and ESPN. I'll check on these throughout the day about 100 times. Toward the end of the day yesterday I had happened upon the ESPN website and any breaking news in sports that they have is always noted in a red box on the right of the page above the headlines. That red box always means something interesting is happening.

The first time it had any real significance for one of my teams that I noticed was several years ago when the Angels signed Vladimir Guerrero in the offseason. Last season it was the Pau Gasol trade. Yesterday, I saw the red, but I didn't get a chance to see what the actual headline was. Most of the time, probably 95/100 that highlighted red box has no bearing on my team so it's usually something interesting, but won't affect my boys in anyway. But just seeing it and knowing it was there, it's tantalizing. The problem was, I didn't get a chance to get back to see what it was.

On my drive home, I caught it briefly listening to the Petros and Money show on 570AM. Money said that Teixeira was going to the Angels, but rather than focus on the good LA baseball team, they were talking about how this affects the sucky Doiyers across town and didn't say one more thing about the Angels. I went to the ESPN talk radio station and they were talking football. I couldn't believe my freakin' ears. I wasn't sure if it really happened, and if it did, I wanted to know what we had to give up to get him.

Turns out almost nothing at all - Casey Kotchman, and a relief pitcher in Double-A. So it was almost a straight up deal for Casey. Granted, I love Casey. Awesome defense, and I think he has only upside. He'll probably be a 20 home run, 80 RBI, .280-.300 hitter in his career, with gold glove defense. And Mark Teixeira is a free agent after the season so there is a chance we could lose him. BUT, Mark is also a gold-glover at 1st base, and over his career he averages about 35 home runs, with 110 RBIs. This guy gives Vlad the protection in the lineup we have never had in his time with us. Seriously, it's unbelievable how awesome this makes them now. They were probably the best team in the majors before this move, or at least had the best record, but now they are the clear favorites to win the title. And I'm not even going to be here in the fall for the postseason.

After hearing the news, I flipped on the game against the Red Sox when I got back from work, and they were up 6-0. Again, I was missing the big headline though because John Lackey was carrying a no-hitter into the ninth inning. Although he lost it, as well as the shut-out at 8 1/3 innings, they still won the game and the series. They've freakin' beat those mothers 7 straight games now. Nobody I hate more than Boston sports teams. All of them. Jerks. All. Hate them. So suck on this a one time! This is ours to lose, baby. Not like those Lakers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hate the Yankees more then the Bo Sox. Boston teams run a close second.

GO ANGELS.