Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Week 3 - Easy

This was a down week in running for me, which was really nice because I just got tied up everytime running came up. I've been consistently running 4x a week now for maybe 6 weeks and it has been really nice. Although my body feels tired, I have experienced very little soreness. No signs of shin splints whatsoever. That one is especially surprising to me because I had them in high school all the time when soccer season started, and that was playing on grass and I assume that I was in a better shape. At the very least, I had a younger body that should have been able to recover faster, but so far it seems that I'm in better shape as an adult that I was as a teen, which is really surprising.

Another thing about that...I couldn't run more than 2 miles to save my life in high school. Not so much that I couldn't run, but my lower back would kill. You know what I figured out following the mission? It was doing sit-ups that was really messing me up. The normal up and down kind where you lie on your back with your legs bent and sit up to the knees. I've stopped doing those kind altogether and have not had any problems distance running since. It's amazing, because while I could sprint all day long, I could never run anything more than 2 miles as a teen.

This week the run pattern was 3-4-3 with the "long" day being 5. My days I ran had to be adjusted a little bit, but none of the runs were any problem for me. I especially enjoyed the 5-mile run because I ran past a nursery and near the Saddleback hills and it was just really pretty. 16-year old me wouldn't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually really enjoying the running part of running. Obviously the increased fitness and health is nice, but the actual runs have been really enjoyable lately and that's helping me to look forward more and more to the long runs that I have.

This week is 3-4-3, but with the long run being 9 miles. I'm getting into uncharted territory with the length of my runs, but it's fun to find new routes and go places I've never been. Walk/Jog/Run has been really helpful with planning out where to go.

Still, my biggest concern about the long runs and eventually the marathon is fueling properly - staying hydrated and having enough nutrients to stay strong throughout the run. Anyone have any tips? When I ask runners I know about what they do, I only seem to get really vague answers, so something specific would be nice.

And this week my new Ipod Shuffle makes it's debut. It's barely bigger than a quarter. I love it. At some point you know that I'm going to get a Nano just so I can get the Nike Run thing, but for now this will do. When I get a little bit more positive cash flow, I'll start thinking about the Nano more. Anyway...until next time.

3 comments:

cropstar said...

Loving your running posts. You've been inspiring me to go do my runs when I just don't feel like it.

I've only been running for a year now so my advice might be only partially helpful but I've learned a lot from other runners in the last year.

First- Shuffles are fantastic. You can barely tell you've got it on you. However- in regards to the Nano I have a suggestion. I bought the nano just for the nike+ chip and have loved it. BUT! If I could go back and do it again I'd forgo getting the nano/chip and buy a Garmin 205 or 305 for basically the same price. I've found the nike+ chip to be somewhat inaccurate even after calibrating it several times. There are just so many advantages to going with the Garmin and sticking with the shuffle.

Second- in regards to hydration. I have a Nathan Speed 4 fuel belt and I seriously could not live without it. I know it looks kind of dorky but I am one who must have water often and hate to carry a water bottle in my hand. I worried before trying it out that the sloshing water would be annoying but I haven't found it to be an issue at all. Plus, there is a nice size pouch that can hold a cell phone and/or GU gels or shotbloks (whatever your preference may be).

Finally- you may have already read it but I just finished Hal Higdon's book "Marathon" and it is really helpful and interesting. There are lots of things you can skip but also a lot of good info. I'm also a big fan of Runner's World Magazine. It does a good job of addressing all levels of runners.

Anyway- hopefully some of this helped. Good job with your training! and I'm looking forward to more posts.
~Christy

Silvs said...

I'm glad somebody is reading the running posts. I feel like most people will skip over them.

The advice is much appreciated. That's exactly the kind of stuff that I was looking for, so thanks. I need to get myself down to this running store and pick up some new shoes and new running toys so I'll check out the belt.

I got that Higdon book through Amazon and of course it's an older version, but I've been loving it too. He seems like such a nice guy, that Hal. So I might go get the latest edition anyway because I feel like there's something I'm missing.

Unknown said...

Everyone I know uses those gel packs. I don't imagine they're very tasty, tho.