Thursday, August 14, 2008

Just Some Thoughts

I was listening to some talk radio on the way up to Laura's house on Sunday. I didn't really feel like listening to a baseball game on the radio (it is so completely beyond me how anyone in the whole world can ever listen to baseball on the radio. It's hard enough for most people to even watch it on TV, let alone just listening to the game. Crazy.) and my political radio stations cater to more esoteric audiences on the weekends, so they're not as interesting. I grew tired of listening to classical music, though, and had few other options so I tuned into KRLA. The show was largely an informerical to advertise for some pill that they kept referring to as a fat-blocker. Their main premise centered around their contention that it is the fault of restaurants and fast food chains that they inject their food with additional sodium, butter, and sugar that makes all of their food so irresistably delicious. I couldn't believe my ears. It brought to my mind an image of a child responding to a scolding for eating a whole pie that was intended for someone else with something like, "but it just looked and smelled too good and I didn't see anybody else eating it!" Are full-grown adults so devoid of self-control that they no longer have to be held responsible for their own weight-gain? I just couldn't believe it. Just take pills! It's not your fault your 20 pounds overweight! Ugh.

A friend of mine sent a mass email to all of his contacts in his address book telling us all that he had donated to the Obama campaign and urging us to support our candidates, regardless of who that person may be. This is going to sound crazy, but I honestly don't understand how anyone who has a testimony of the church could ever support Obama as a candidate for president. I am fully conscious of how extreme that sounds, but I could go on for days about why I believe that is true. I have a testimony that Obama is the worst possible option for President. Without a doubt I can whole-heartedly testify that he's the most inexperienced candidate we have had for President in the last century, and worst of all, he fails miserably to represent a great majority of what people in this country stand for and believe in. I know, with every fiber of my being, that he is the wrong choice.

Out of curiosity, I responded and asked him why he was supporting him. That should be interesting.

Not surprisingly (but somehow, still surprisingly in some ways) not doing a normal run yesterday has helped my leg to feel better. I might cut out another run and maybe alter my long run this week to see if I can't get some additional rest for it.

It's absurd how much time I have been wasting at work this week. They don't realize it now, but they'll get so much more from the next person when I'm gone.

Lastly, I saw this post on Hugh Hewitt's blog today. It is about how the electoral map is shaping up in the Presidential race. This is the map and what follows is an excerpt from the post about McCain's best veep choice:




The weak Obama states are: Colorado, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Ohio, which represent 38 electoral votes. Move those four states into McCain's column, and he becomes the president.

Given that the swirl around the Ridge story from yesterday continued at Politico.com this morning, this is the map tokeep in mind when considering Senator McCain's choice.

The vice presidential nominee most likely to impact those four states most likely to shift towards McCain from Obama is Mitt Romney, who won three of the four GOP contests in them. Romney's vacation home is in New Hampshire. His ties to the mountain west from the years he spent guiding the 2002 Winter Olympics as well as the sizeable LDS communities in Nevada and Colorado argue for his selection. Romney's primary help to the ticket would be in Michigan, where he was of course born and raised and where his father and mother are still remembered warmly, but Romney's ability to talk convincingly about the auto industry and economic revival generally would also help across the border in the Buckeye State.



As it stands, Obama leads 298 to McCain's 240. And here's this little gem about Barack:

You've been Barack Rolled!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent video. Some people have way too much time on their hands.

Laura said...

i'll tell you who listens to baseball on the radio....MATT. and i couldn't agree more with you about Obama. nice testimony. if he wins, i am moving to Canada. and you totally talked me into taking the fat blocker. sounds like a solid solution.