Friday, August 1, 2008

What Do You Come Here For?

I read a bunch of different things online. I subscribe to several feeds for finance blogs, political blogs, and then the blogs of the people I know. Most recently I've been reading this blog by a guy in his mid-20s that managed to rack up several hundred thousand dollars in debt. The blog revolves around his experiences dealing with his debt and trying to right his ship, so to speak. The writing is okay, but I like the story more than anything else because it feels real to me.

It got me thinking though about what it is that the 5 of you come here hoping to read about. There are some blogs with content about relationships, others about family life, and a couple that talk politics. Jared's talks about music. I love the variety that you all bring. For me, I like those ones that are personal, where I feel like I'm getting an actual story and something insightful that tells me something about the person, not just what he/she is doing, or did.

My favorite part about the blog is how much the writing helps to develop my thoughts, but then a close second is when someone tells me something like, "reading your blog makes me want to be more active," or "I really appreciated your thoughts about" such and such. Believe it or not I've actually heard of those a few times, and it's really fun for me to hear that kind of stuff.

I really think that everyone has a story to tell. And not just plain stories or boring ones, but interesting ones; and all of the people I know have great things to say. One day I'd like to develop my interviewing skills and get an in-depth interview of everyone that I know and put together a written collage of all those people. Becca was a journalism major and one thing I appreciated about her was that she taught me a lot about how there is always a story, you just have to find the right angle.

Anyway, hopefully sometimes the stories I tell here are less like stick figure representations of events in my life or thoughts that I'm having, and more like fully embodied vibrant vistas.

No comments: