Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Where Does The Time Go? (Crazy 4 Cult)

For the five of you who regularly come here, sorry I haven't been keeping up with my end of the bargain. Isn't it funny that the minute I stop working is exactly when I get too busy to post to my blog? I love it.

Today turned into a pretty fun day. We ended up going up to Magic Mountain and by the time the afternoon rolled around, we didn't have to wait in any lines. None whatsoever. Maybe it was because it was like 1,000 degrees celsius. Yeah, you know it's hot when you talkin' celsius. You know what's a bad idea? Going to an amusement park with rides that throw you all over the place, walking around on hilly terrain, with temperatures pushing three digits at least, and then not eating anything while you're there. And until I finally ate real food at like 7pm, I was wondering why I was feeling so weak and light-headed the whole day. Der.



But, my favorite part of the day was dropping by Gallery 1988 on the way back home. My favorite. I heard about this art show they were doing while listening to KROQ on the way to work on Friday morning (incidentally, I think I'm going to die while I'm in Utah and I don't get to hear the morning show because I feel like there have been several things in the last year that I heard about on that radio show that I've done and loved because it was some bit that they had done on the show, whether it's been new music, art stuff, movies, etc. I'm going to miss that part tons, and the accessibility of so much cool stuff in LA that I didn't nearly take enough advantage of).



The show that they currently have is called Crazy 4 Cult and features a bunch of artists renderings of various characters and scenes from cult movies including Edward Scissorhands, Wizard of Oz, Goonies, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, and others. I heard on the show about one artist who painted a family portrait of the Torrances from the film The Shining, and today saw some of the others that he did, my next favorite being The Freelings from Poltergeist. I loved almost everything that I saw. I'll include a few of them here, but for everything go to this link.

You should be able to figure out this one:
I don't know why I like this one so much, but I think it's just great.

I thought this was creative.

And do you like Better Off Dead?
For the last year or two I have been really wanting to own some original artwork. I've mentioned this before, but I think you've reached Baller status when you own a bunch of original art. So, of course, I got totally excited to buy something from the gallery, and here is one that is still available that I just love. I think I like how kind of creepy it is, but it's out of my price range (which if I'm really being honest, all of these are).
And I think I might buy one or both of these:

And I would have for sure gotten this one if it weren't already sold. Did you figure it out? It's called The Extra (Wizard of Oz). I love it.

This one is by far my favorite, but it's already been sold:


It's got all of the memorable images from the movie in there. This was by far my favorite one. We were fortunate to get in because we showed up right as the gallery closed at 6pm, but the guy was finishing up some paperwork so he let us have a look around.

So don't try and hijack my pieces! I'm going to be buying my first piece of original art pretty soon.

2 comments:

gregory said...

total baller status. those are some prized pieces and my appetite for original art has been wet again. danny owns hundreds of thousands of dollars of original art, i think i could handle a few hundred plus - i graduated from college. i got jealous

gregory said...

i didn't get to go to the gallery like i wanted last weekend and i was a very very upset little boy. i hate missing out on things like that - don't know if I'll get a chance to see the exhibit and that is incredibly disconcerting :(