Sunday, April 20, 2008

Birthday Beach Bash Battle Royale

I'm not one to really need, or even want, a lot of attention, so when people make a big deal about celebrating their own birthday-weeks or -months I always just found that kind of strange. This week was my first encounter with that length of attention on my birthday, being that I got taken out to eat the on day of twice, had some sweet seats at the Angels game on Thursday on my man-date with Dave, had dinner with my dad Friday, this barbeque yesterday, and actually another one today with my mom and brother.

I was surprised about the locale of the days events, but pleasantly so. There is probably no one who gets as excited as I do about having a barbeque at the beach and playing whiffleball than me, except for Dave. So it worked out pretty well that we both happen to love the planned events, our birthdays are less than two weeks apart, and we're best friends. How long have you guys been planning this anyway? It seems like this is about 15 years in the making just to put together a combined birthday party. Given all of that, maybe I should have been expecting more...Very elaborate guys, bravo. Anyway, over here in Irvine it was looking like a bad day for the beach with cooler temperatures and cloudy skies. Fortunately, when we actually arrived it was much nicer actually on the beach than it was more inland. So we ended up having a Beach Battle Royale for both mine and Dave's birthday (which is actually coming up next week on the 26th). It was a semi-surprise for me, but more of a surprise for him that this was also to celebrate his birthday. For whatever reason we had a faux competition between the both of us to determine the best...well I really have no idea. As everyone expected, I bested him in the four part gauntlet of challenges. It involved an intense game of whiffleball, arm wrestling, watermelon eating, and a battle of wits, a la Cash Cab, which before yesterday I had never even heard of.


I really can't say enough about how much I appreciate everything that you all did to remember me, from the big to the small. Of course I love those people more who put more effort into celebrating ME, but that you even remembered is really sweet. Kidding. Honestly, it was enough that you guys even remembered at all, and I can't tell you enough how much I appreciated all that you did. Thanks for just being a part of it.

5 comments:

Laura said...

so i am so sorry i missed the party. i really really wanted to go, but couldn't get out of a family party we had at the same time. we will have to make it up by actually venturing down to the oc to hang out.

Dave said...

SO FUN!

Thank you my dear wifey and greg for getting that all together. And thank you to all who came. I feel the love.

Valerie said...

Happy Birthday!!!

JS said...

Happy Birthday Chris!

Unknown said...

You've never heard of cash cab???

Shameful.