Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Young@Heart


I saw this movie last night. This film really has to be one of the cutest, most touching movies I've ever seen. You can visit their website here and learn a little bit more about the story of the chorus. In brief, the chorus started out in 1982 and this movie was produced by a filmmaker who had seen the show only recently about a year or two ago. He pitched the idea of putting together a documentary that would cover the chorus preparing for a show that they would be performing in seven weeks. My favorite part of the movie was seeing them go perform at a local prison and seeing the reaction of the prisoners and just how much they loved it. I wish I could come up with more stuff than just saying that everyone in the film is just so sweet and cute, but that's really all I can think of right now. Throughout the movie the director interjects these music videos and several of them are actually posted on YouTube. The clip I posted above is not one that's included in the movie. It's really worth experiencing it all in the theater.

I just love the independent movie feel. It really does seem like these kinds of projects are driven by a compelling story and not so much dollars and cents. The resulting movie comes across as so much more authentic without the distractions of typical big budget films. I sound so stuck up right now, but it's the truth. I really like that idea of finding the right angle to telling a story and consuming entirely the audience's interest. I've even thought it would be neat to do interviews with just my friends and practicing piecing together a well-crafted story. Any volunteers? The point is that there is always a story there, you've just got to find the right way to tell it. I think this film really does that so well.

No comments: