Monday, October 22, 2007

Du Juor Means Friendship

Boy bands are awesome. Even before we have the obvious birth of the boy band with New Kids On The Block, we've been delighted through the years with the likes of The Monkees, The Bee Gees, even Jackson Five. Today I come with a serious matter to discuss with you - who's better? 'N Sync or Backstreet Boys?

I know someone and she gets me music. We will leave her unnamed so that if someone someday wants to pin something on her, it won't be because of this blog entry. Last week I asked her for 'N Sync's Greatest Hits. She didn't bat an eye, downloaded the cd, and got it to me. Then a day or two later I asked for Backstreet's Greatest Hits. Then she laughed at me, and teased me, asking me if I also wanted 98 degrees or O-Town, as if those guys are even on par with either of those two megastar bands. Another friend I had did a similar thing. I mentioned I got the 'N Sync album, and then laughed at me when I said I wanted the Backstreet one also. And it bothered me both times. So much so that it's keeping me awake at night. Not really, but enough to blog about it.

I feel like people who are pro-'N Sync, but look down on BSB are snobs about it. I think this stems from the fact that Justin Timberlake emerged from 'N Sync and has really established himself as a force to be reckoned with in the world of entertainment. This, in turn, makes people feel legitimized and validated for their appreciation of 'N Sync. But the fact that no individual star surfaced from the BSBs makes them somehow of less worth in the world of badass boy bands. Yup, I realize the juxtaposition of those words and believe it to be entirely appropriate. Anyway, I contend that the BSBs have a better collection hits than does 'N Sync, and therefore the better band. Just because JT managed to have a solid post-boy band career is no reason to look down upon the Backstreet Boys. Look, Ricky Martin was in Menudo, but that doesn't mean that I'm gonna love them just because he turned out to be awesome. I know what I said.

I shouldn't have to tell you that the 'Boys sold over 100 million albums versus the mere 56 million that 'N Sync sold. I shouldn't have to tell you that they are the highest selling pop group ever. Some of you might contend that 'N Sync was actually more musically talented and that Backstreet has a more synthentic musical quality. Seriously...would I really be listening to either of these bands if I was really concerned about actual musical talent? I'll let each of their hit lists speak for themselves:

Backstreet Boys
1. "I Want It That Way"
2. "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)"
3. "As Long As You Love Me"
4. "Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely"
5. "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)"
6. "All I Have To Give"
7. "Larger Than Life"
8. "I'll Never Break Your Heart"
9. "The Call"
10. "Shape of My Heart"
11. "The One"
12. "More Than That"
13. "Drowning"

'N Sync

1."Bye Bye Bye"
2. "Girlfriend" (The Neptunes Remix featuring Nelly)
3. "This I Promise You" (Radio Edit)
4. "It's Gonna Be Me"
5. "God Must Have Spent a Little More Time on You" (Short Edit)
6. "I Want You Back"
7. "Pop" (Short Version)
8. "Gone"
9. "Tearin' Up My Heart"
10. "Thinking of You (I Drive Myself Crazy)"
11. "I'll Never Stop" (Radio Edit)
12. "Music of My Heart" (featuring Gloria Estefan)

But let's be honest. These guys are the best boy band ever.

7 comments:

Salt H2O said...

You are officially my favorite person for posting a DuJuor video.

The Josie and the Pussycats movie was worth watching JUST for these guys. Back Door Lover was such genius.

Unknown said...

I guess it just depends on your music preferences. If you like cheesy sappy lovey dovey songs, then you are a BSB fan. If you like awesome songs, then you are an 'N Sync fan. Cut and dry.

gregory said...

i am married to an N'Sync diehard, and they do have great songs, but there was just way more BSB exposure in Mongolia so I fell in love w/ them first. I think the BSB are Men's Men and I'd back them up in a fight any day. N'Sync I'm n'sorry but you win n'silver n' my book - which is a still a really good medal. Silva good ZING! on Karen.

Unknown said...

Greg, surely you are need of better ZING! exposures if you thought that was good.

Dave, I hope by "crack" you don't mean butt. Eeps!

Laura said...

i know you are going to be disappointed, but i gotta go with 'n sync as well. I don't hate on BSB...i think part of the reason i favor 'n sync because JT is sexy.

Caitlin said...

Most interesting -- It sounds as if BSB and N'SYNC have divided the masses. The extremely homoerotic men favor BSB, and the straight, normal girls choose N'SYNC. Which side are you on?

f*bomb. said...

I don't know the difference between those boy bands, but I am officially posting a link to your blog because of this video.
AMAZING.