Friday, October 19, 2007

Warm October Nights

When I first started blogging I wanted to make the titles of all my posts names of songs. Without realizing it I’ve kind of done it for these last two entries. Anyway, Wednesday night I went to Knott’s Scary Farm with several friends. You all know that I love Halloween right? It’s the most wonderful time in the whole world. Summer is pretty awesome, but I love all the sports, the change in weather, Halloween and scary stuff, black and orange, the smooth transition into the holiday season, everything that comes with the arrival of Fall. I think I’ve already enumerated the myriad reasons why this season is so great.

So Scary Farm was great. Good group, fun mazes. I get less scared in the mazes then I do with movies now. I’m a lightweight when it comes to scary movies these days. And the fact that I’ve been pretty good about no R-rated movies limits the amount that I can watch. Although 1408 was pretty awesome, and it scared the poop out of me. Stephen King, John Cusack, and the anticipation of horror are great ingredients for a good scary movie. But I digress…Knott’s was great. Again, I miss Greg and Laura terribly. Even everyone else, I feel like I never see those people anymore. On the outset of the evening I was thinking we’d leave at like 1 and that would be early, but little did I know that by 1130 I would have about as much energy as the not-so-into-their-job-characters that were working the mazes. Still though, good times.

Yesterday morning I was eating Honey Nut Cheerios and watching the ESPN report about Jason Ray, the Tar Heels mascot who was killed last year while walking along the highway. Here is the link again if you still haven’t read the story. Such an amazing story. Seeing his sweet parents and those people who literally owe their lives to that young man made me salt my cheerios with tears. That’s a funny sounding sentence. So good though.

Something that the story picked up on television that didn’t come across as much in the written article was the amount of faith that was on display from all those people involved. I guess it touches on it in the article, but it felt much more vibrant hearing and seeing the people talk about it all. I don’t know of anything more touching than stories of faith in the face desperate circumstances. Not the kind of faith that is defiant and arrogant, but the kind that is trusting, submissive, and patient. It is exquisite, don’t you think?

I really do love the people in my life. I know and associate with some of the finest. And in a total change of pace for the post, here’s my boy Andy doing his thing on SNL.

1 comment:

gregory said...

too bad the video is not available anymore, but I love Andy Samberg. I saw this video posted elsewhere, and a bunch of people were commenting on how not funny, or lame, or copying another video, or not original it was. I hate those people. I HATE THEM! They think they're so cool, or witty, or clever. But they're stupid and could never make anything as awesome as one of TLI's digital shorts. . Period.