Wednesday, October 3, 2007

President Vetoes Health Care Bill

I was eating lunch at Ray's Pizza today. Yup, of course it's the original Ray's pizza. Seriously though, best thin crust NY style pizza I've had here in Southern California. I don't know how it compares to authentic NY style pizza, but I've been going there for like 15 years and now I go weekly for lunch. The guy's name is actually Ray, or at least that's what he goes by. Anyway...Ray likes watching CNN and politics. He kind of reminds me of a watered-down version of my dad. Small business owner, heavy accent, and buys into everything that liberal news media puts out there.

When you first hear about this story, it sounds awful. What? President Bush vetoed a bill that expands healthcare coverage for children? How could he?! The horror!!! How could he veto this bill when it only costs 7 billion a year and the Iraq war costs 10 billion a month! What happened to compassionate conservatism? Isn't this supposed to be the party of morality? etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...blah blah blah.

Here is the AP story. Below is an excerpt on President Bush's reasoning on why he vetoed the bill:

The policies of the government ought to be help poor children and to focus on
poor children. And the policies of the government ought to be help people find
private insurance, not federal coverage. … So I want to share with you why I
vetoed the bill this morning. Poor kids, first. Secondly, I believe in private
medicine, not the federal government running the health care system. I do want
Republicans and Democrats to come together to support a bill that focuses on the
poor children. I'm more than willing to work with members of both parties from
both houses, and if they need a little more money in the bill to help us meet
the objective of getting help for poor children, I'm more than willing to sit
down with the leaders and find a way to do so.

Here is a link to some analysis of the decision to veto. Please follow the links. The reasoning is sound. His logic is undeniable. Know the reference? Two literature references in two days? Good job, me.

The story is funny to me because it is so typical of liberal America. This is an easy one to spin and they do so masterfully. Even my good buddy Ray was buying it. Why wouldn't he want to insure kids!? I hate this President! and on and on and on...

4 comments:

Valerie said...

A few weeks ago I was watching a press conference that Bush was holding. He spoke on various topics, and also mentioned that he would be vetoing this bill. It totally made sense when he explained that what they were trying to pass was way different than Bush's original idea for health care for children. I'm with him on this one.

Unknown said...

If you want to solve the health care situation we're facing right now, the last thing you want to do is put it into the hands of the GOVERNMENT.

Silvs said...

I love you my like-minded friends.

Salt H2O said...

The american public is ready to eat up anything the media tells them, with out doing any personal research.

I use to watch CNN, but I had to stop because I was getting dizzy from all of the spin.